Battery wont go more than 12a? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery wont go more than 12a?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Don't get involved in major grounds at this point unless major items are being involved. Considerate on listing what is acting out of the ordinary, and what you and the jeep are doing when something happens. My wife calls it being methodical. Remember what is running correctly is as important as what is not, for knowing that prevents you from going off in the wrong direction. The last thing you do is draw a conclusion. Drawing a conclusion only happens after you have sufficient information to do so. The other thing, do not try to solve two problems, that have very little to do with one another at once. It is easy when you are paying hypered attention to find all kinds of things that separate your jeep from a new one.

After you make your list, and only after, go to proving if the draw that is indicated is real or a gauge or circuit problem. The alternator needs to be checked. Cushion, what is coming out of that alternator can get you, if you are at all uncomfortable have it done by someone. If the alternator is operating correctly, then the battery. Quick check, With the engine running turn on everything, radio, headlights, ac to high, hit the breaks, turn wheels - are the headlights dimming? Trust me, if the alternator is not working they are.

gunner44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree on being methodical in troubleshooting but the grounds are one of the most important parts of the electrical system and should not be ignored for now. The PCM, alternator, sensors, etc, are all grounded to the engine and the grounds should be clean/making good contact.

On one of the small field terminals on the back of the alternator is a tan/blk, or dark green wire, which leads directly to the PCM. This provides feedback between the alternator and PCM while the PCM functions as a switch for turning the alternator field on/off for putting out the correct voltage. Kind of a vicious circle where the PCM and alternator better be grounded properly on the main engine grounds or the alternator will not put out the correct voltage. Also a good reason for making sure the all contacts on the back of the alternator are good/clean.

It should also be noted whenever you buy a new alternator now they often have a warning you better have a good ground strap going to it or the alternator won't work right and will be damaged.

I recently removed my alternator and it tested fine. But I also removed the bracket from the engine and couldn't believe the varnish on the back of the bracket where it contacts the engine. Aluminum and steel don't like each other and cleaned all this off. While maybe not necessary I also ran an additional ground strap from the right/lower alternator ground bolt to the front ground stud under the coil just to be on the safe side. Also used dielectric grease on all contacts.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

I totally agree, and your wright up holds very useful information. I just cut and pasted it in by data bank. Until I see a list though, which is what I need, I can go no further.
gunner44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Camswe
1997 ZJ 

Well today i checked and cleaned all of the grounds and battery connections except the firewall/gauges ground, i couldn't find that...but after about 2h and a lot of grease i finished and i started up the jeep 4 times in a row and my volts read 14, perfectly in the middle. Maybe i fixed it, maybe not i only had time to start her up a couple times because i had to go recover my old xj project. hopefully will get to go drive it for a while tuesday
Camswe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

sound like a winner, good job Sir.

I have seen more Jeeps fixed by cleaning the various connections than anything else.

Phit

Edit: how about the radio is it working now too ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #21
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good deal Camswe and glad you're back to full voltage. Cleaning all those grounds will also more than pay for itself in the long run.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #22
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camswe View Post
Well today i checked and cleaned all of the grounds and battery connections except the firewall/gauges ground, i couldn't find that...but after about 2h and a lot of grease i finished and i started up the jeep 4 times in a row and my volts read 14, perfectly in the middle. Maybe i fixed it, maybe not i only had time to start her up a couple times because i had to go recover my old xj project. hopefully will get to go drive it for a while tuesday
The ZJ doesn't have a firewall ground between the engine and chassis - everything else is just ducky.

Probably 85-90% of the electrical problems I've tracked down on vehicles in the last 30-odd years have been due to a shonky ground somewhere - clean up the lug (or just replace it outright,) replace the screw with a clean one, and clean up the contact patch, and everything's fine.

I just have a bit of a blind spot sometimes - since it's the first place I look, I usually figure it's the first place everyone else looks as well.

Tags
battery , electrical issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.