battery temp sensor error - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
sadass
1998 ZJ 

battery temp sensor error

I have 98zj 5.9 , the check engine light came on, took jeep to advanced auto to have code read, and I was told trouble code was for a battery temp sensor fault. any have any info on trouble shooting this circuit. anyone have the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

i have never heard of a temp sensor on the battery....
im prety sure i dont have one, but i dont know now... you got me thinking...

hard working private first class in the United States Marine Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I think it is in the battery box. It would sit under the battery, and tell the computer when it is fully charged. I have heard of it before, so i think it exists Andy, or at least on the older GC

Edit: or maybe it is on all ZJ, since you both have 98's

Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

It's under the battery, and under the battery tray, sticking its little head up through the bottom of the tray. To get at it, remove battery, then unbolt whatever is in the way of the tray, and then unbolt the tray, and tilting it to one side, you'll see the connector under, pointing upward. Unlock the latch, then depress thumb latch, disconnect connector. Probably spray WD 40 into the latch, since no one ever goes here, it's filled with dust, and will be difficult to unlatch. So, Kroil, WD40, etc, to loosen it up before messing with the latches. It's a temperature sensor... and there isn't much to go wrong with it, except a bunch of acid, or bad connection. The sensor itself snaps out vertically from the battery tray. It's an actual sensor (a pot), and not just a switch.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
sadass
1998 ZJ 

any Idea what the purpose of that temp sensor would be? why does the jeep need to know battery temp?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 AM
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i believe it's so that it can adjust the rate of charge based on temperature

UPDATE: the FSM confirms that: "...temperature data, along with data from the monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate." in my WJ FSM it also says that it affects the OBD systems: "Most OBD II sensors are disabled below 20 degrees." interesting!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
any Idea what the purpose of that temp sensor would be? why does the jeep need to know battery temp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i believe it's so that it can adjust the rate of charge based on temperature

UPDATE: the FSM confirms that: "...temperature data, along with data from the monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate." in my WJ FSM it also says that it affects the OBD systems: "Most OBD II sensors are disabled below 20 degrees." interesting!
Yep that's exactly what it is for.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
sadass
1998 ZJ 

Last time was almost 2 years ago when I threw this code for Battery temp sensor error. At that time I put a new battery in because it needed it and the fault went away. Today the cel is back for Battery sensor. funny, last couple of week started to notice my battery is not holding a charge like it should, leave the tunes on in the car for any length of time and the Jeep will need a jump. I have never hear of this on JF so I thought I would follow up on this old Thread of mine for future fault related searches. Seems like my cel for battery temp sensor faulty is acting as a early battery failure warning.

5NineZJ,35mtr/k IRO 7" LA F/R Detroit F/HP-4.56 R/Aussie 44A. ARB Snorkel/JRC Sliders/ Protofab w/9500S./Bushwhackers. Novak242 TCcable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.