Battery keeps dieing after a day of driving! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery keeps dieing after a day of driving!

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-09-2003, 03:59 AM   #1
Road Racer

Battery keeps dieing after a day of driving!

I give my battery a full charge and it's good for a day of driving then it gose dead. I brought the GC to Autozone to have my chargeing system checked out and they said my battery is fine and my charging system is putting out 14 volts and its good.
When I give my battery a full charge the charging system gauge reads about 10 and as I drive it slowly goes to 9 which is as far left as it can go. The gauge should read around 14 amps, it dose not. QUESTION: If my alternator (charging system) was good would 'nt the gauge read 14 insted of 9?????
Autozone said it was fine but why is it not charging my battery???? I put a diffrent battery in the GC and it dose the same thing.
Has any one ever had this problem?? PLease Help!

Unread 03-09-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
Big Dumb White Guy

are you reading the gage on the dash? POS gages... that gage takes a reading from like after the headlights get their power or something like that. it's really stupid.

other thing. while it is running check the volts at the battery.

it may be a short somewhere sucking the power....

i had the same thing. try to find a GOOD electrical place. i found here and they said everything they checked is good. so i made my own Battery cables. you can get the connectors, $11 a pair (military spec), go here http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/te...terminals.html . that's where i got mine. then get some 1 gage welding wire. i spent about $35 for 25ft of it. have them add the other connectors (they have to be crimped on).

haven't had to do anymore since then...

good luck.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #3
Road Racer

Yes, the dash gauge should read 13.5 to 14 volts. The battery reads 12 volts. The volts comming from the alternator is 14 volts.
Unread 03-10-2003, 12:17 PM   #4
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

Do you have an aftermarket sound system. Stereo Amps can take most of the Alternators output and the battery doesn't get enough to charge. I would test the voltage on the battery as stated above. The alternator or a short would be the problem.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Road Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Racer
Yes, the dash gauge should read 13.5 to 14 volts. The battery reads 12 volts. The volts comming from the alternator is 14 volts.

No,I do not have a sound amp just the stock sound system. My battery outputs 12volts and my alternator outputs 14 volts.
That is what Autozone told me when they checked my battery and alternator. I don't know how accurate Autozone is. Should I just buy a new alternator and swap it out? Or should I just bring it to a shop and have it checked out. I figured I could save some money if someone on the forum had the same problem.
If my alternator was good the gauge in my dash should read around 13 or 14 volts but the gauge in my dash only reads 9 which is as far left as it can go. From that I would assume that my alternator is not working. However Autozone says my alternator is fine.
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

1st thing you should do is change the battery cables. It may not
fix your problem but it may and its cheap. About $20 . If thats not it go to a shop and have them check your altenator again.
Most shops will check it out for free.. Like Big Dumb White Guy
said it could be your cables, I had a similar problem a while back
I put new end on my cables ,
Problem solved...
Unread 03-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
Kess

do ur own little test on the alternator, start the jeep, and pop the hood and disconnet the neg terminal of the batt, if it dies ur alternator is shot, if not ur alternator is fine, and should read right close to 12volts

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 08:30 AM   #8
Road Racer

OK, I took battery cable off with engine running and engine kept running which means alternator is good. I reconnected battery and gauge in dash read 14, good charging system.
Now, after a few minutes of running gauge in dash went down to 9, I disconected battery and engine died. So sometimes its good sometimes its bad, What the heck? I cleaned off contacts in fuse box and battery and same thing happens, sometimes alternator charges and sometimes it dose not. Still confused Please HELP!
Unread 03-16-2003, 05:17 AM   #9
Road Racer

I tapped the alternator while jeep was running and the needle on the gauge in the dash jumped from 9 to 14. Could that mean that the alternator is ready to shiit the bed?
Unread 03-16-2003, 06:39 AM   #10
pHaZe5unIt1

I can tell you right now that when you took it to AZ., most of the people there dont know that there equip needs to be fixed . In our case at AZ we had at least 100 people come in when ours was broken and one of the guys I worked with didnt even know that it was broken. I would bet that it will be you alt. I have tested and replaced over 200 at az and everyone that I had tried to get them to buy an alt that day said they will wait it out. A couple of days later they came back and bought an alt. And also the reading on the machine should be 75% of the total AMPS not volts, and not less. I would take it back and have someone who can use the machine go out and look at it.
any more ? pm me
Unread 03-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #11
Road Racer

I replaced the alternator and everything works great the way it should. The dash gauge reads a steady 14. Thanks for your help.
Unread 03-18-2003, 12:57 AM   #12
Ryan2son

How much was your alternator?

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 09:17 AM   #13
Road Racer

Autozone wanted $100.00 for theirs but from past experience I never buy Alternators or Starters from Autozone or V.I.P.
I paid $140.00 from a more reputable auto parts dealer. The dealership wanted $225.00 for theirs, Yeah right! I removed the battery and the battery tray, then I was able to swap out the alternator with no problems, half hour total time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.