Battery going dead overnight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery going dead overnight

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
BackBrakeBilly

Battery going dead overnight

Here's the scoop...
1998 GC 4.0, the battery is dying overnight or at the most every other day unless the Jeep is driven. Traced the short down to the Instrument Cluster circuit by removing the fuses as I checked the draw on the battery. My question is how many things are operated off of the Cluster Circuit?
The headlight switch is working fine and doesn't change the voltage draw when its disconnected...
Need help please!!!

BackBrakeBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBrakeBilly View Post
Here's the scoop...
1998 GC 4.0, the battery is dying overnight or at the most every other day unless the Jeep is driven. Traced the short down to the Instrument Cluster circuit by removing the fuses as I checked the draw on the battery. My question is how many things are operated off of the Cluster Circuit?
The headlight switch is working fine and doesn't change the voltage draw when its disconnected...
Need help please!!!
How old is the battery. It could be going south due to age. does the battery die if you disconnect the terminal for a couple days.
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
BackBrakeBilly

The current battery is on;y a few months old. The battery will hold a charge if its disconnected so I pretty sure its not the battery.
I traced all the circuits that run through the fuse panel with a DVM and the only one that made a differenc in the drain was the circuit going to the dash cluster....
Thanks for the imput!
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

i would unhook the battery at night and at work for a few days just to be sure its ok. batteries are man made, they fail. im not sure if the cluster works off the ignition switch, bcm, or a relay. any of them COULD be the problem. all else fails, drink some water and check your grounds.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
BackBrakeBilly

Took the battery loose overnight and checked it with my meter and it seems to be holding a charge when its unhooked from the Jeep.
The circuit in question runs all the dash lights and all the gauges, can someone tell me what else is on that circuit?
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

ill try to look in my book tonight. im on standby for the ice storms here in indy so i might not get to it.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Which fuse in which panel did you pull in order for you to stop the drain.
Some of the fuses in the PDC (under the hood) power the JB (in the passenger kick panel) that supplies the power to the instrument panel.
It also ties in with the BCM which operates all of your interior functions, like the alarm system, interior lighting and so on. Did you check the rear hatch light switch was turned off? Overhead courtesy lights? My daughter left those on for me one evening....
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
BackBrakeBilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
Which fuse in which panel did you pull in order for you to stop the drain.
Some of the fuses in the PDC (under the hood) power the JB (in the passenger kick panel) that supplies the power to the instrument panel.
It also ties in with the BCM which operates all of your interior functions, like the alarm system, interior lighting and so on. Did you check the rear hatch light switch was turned off? Overhead courtesy lights? My daughter left those on for me one evening....
Ok I pulled the #7 (Cluster) fuse out of the fuse block at the kickpanel, 3 days and the Jeep starts right up which means the battery is not the problem but rather something in that circuit...
I know this circuit feeds the Instr. cluster lights and gauges but what else does it feed?
I drove it when I cranked it up and everything else seems to be working.
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
z32gizzle
1998 ZJ 

I just had the same problem. Came out to my Zj and it was completly dead not even starter clicks. Checked fuses and Cluster fuse was blown.... Dunno why it was blown but I replaced it and so far so good.
z32gizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Fuse #7 powers up the obii scan reader through pin #16 in the data link connector (thats a shot in the dark) check for bent pins there.
Also supplies power for the power amplifier
instrument cluster
BCM (body control module)
and the automatic headlight sensor (on top of the dashboard) that also is connected to the BCM
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
smokeyeager
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBrakeBilly View Post
Here's the scoop...
Need help please!!!
Go to http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ click repair info and register for free account, then click vehicle repair guides, chassis electrical, then wiring diagrams. Should take you to a bunch of the diagrams. Going to try to link it but not sure it'll work. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c152800a9cf4

Edit: Forgot to say to add your vehicle YMM info topull the right diagrams.

Last edited by smokeyeager; 02-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: forgot a line.
smokeyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
BackBrakeBilly

Another update...
I unplugged the white connector that goes to the BCM and the battery drain went down to normal for the Ignition off status.
Plugged the white connector back in and started checking the switches down line from the BCM with nothing having any effect so far...
Does this sound like its the BCM that has the short?
I did notice a very slight flickering of the dash lights when driving it tonight.
I unplugged the headlight/dimmer switch and it didn't have any effect on the power drain, could a short in the BCM be causing the dash lights to have the slight flicker?
Thanks for all the help so far and for the help to come!
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The #7 fuse goes into the BCM through that white connector.
Other circuits that are connected through that connector are...
headlight auto sensor
radio control (steering wheel)
wiper park switch sense
courtesy lamp relay control
a/c select sense
headlamp relay control
horn relay control
rear defogger relay control
fused ignition switch output (run/acc)
panel lamp driver
washer pump sense
windshield wiper switch signal
panel lamp dimmer
park lamp relay control
fog lamp relay control
intermittent wiper relay control
There is an entire manual dedicated to troubleshooting the BCM and everything connected to it. You could try and pull some of the associated connectors or relays to further track down ur problem, but I get the feeling that it's the module itself.
If you need more info.......
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Uh-umm ... If it is hurting your head to badly here, and if you have it pinned down to the white connector, then just interupt it with a on/off switch and then use it when you cut your ride off ...

Or hard wire it in ...

Problem solved ???

Or chase that b*tch ...

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
BackBrakeBilly

OK,
I went and picked up a good working BCM, installed it and the short is still there!
I am open for suggestions...

Could someone point me in the direction of a good wiring diagram for the wires that go to the white connector? I guess the next step is to start tracing those wires down....

Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.