Battery Gauge Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Gauge Issues

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

Battery Gauge Issues

This morning I woke up to the jeep being dead. Interior lights and radio worked but not enough juice to turn over. I jumped the battery and she started right up, but after a few minutes of driving, the battery gauge pegs all the way to the right (reading high voltage) so I pull over to shut her off. Now the jeep has NO power.....no interior lights, no radio, no nothing. Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened? Should I try to jump it again? I would appreciate any insight and help I get! Thanks!

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Start cheap and check your grounds and wiring on the battery, and alternator. Remove them and clean them up. If you see any corrosion, cut it out, or replace the wires. Also check your battery, make sure it has a good charge, and no dead cells. And have your alternator load tested. It might be failing.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

Oh I forgot to mention I just changed the alternator out with junkyard parts a few weeks ago. Maybe I got the wrong alternator?
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ agree with sebian and at this point it isn't going to hurt to try to jump it. What caused the battery to go dead in the 1st place and leave something on? Or just an old/bad battery or problems with parasitic battery drain?

Read the real good thread/link in my signature about troubleshooting stall/no-start problems. Good luck.

edit, yeah the wrong or bad alternator from the JY would definitely cause problems.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

Well the first alternator wasn't cranking out enough voltage to charge the battery, so it slowly kept dying, and would just bring it to autozone to have charged. I mean the old alternator would cause the gauge to read low battery on my gauges, but the new Alternator is making it read over charged........I mean the batteries gone through hell the past month so maybe its just junk.....(Hope its alternator.....don't have money for 80$ new battery)
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If it were my Jeep I'd have the battery charged and load tested first. You can't tell anything about the rest of the system if the battery is low or bad. While I was taking the battery out though I'd be looking at the wiring just in case.

Draining a starting battery and then getting it charged on the fast chargers at the parts store is really bad for the battery. I wonder if the battery isn't completely shot and the voltage regulator (in the PCM) was commanding full charge to try and charge a bad battery. Just a guess that fits the symptoms.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
ajmorell

The charge rate of the battery isn't based solely on the alternator. The PCM regulates the voltage/amperage/charge rate of the battery. But, to me it sounds like you might have a bad ground somewhere, so that is where I would start.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

My moneys on the voltage regulator in the pcm due to the high volts. Don't forget to replace the battery after. never heard of an alt or batt giving you a high reading. The pcm VR is what controls the charging rate. Also in your year theres a sensor under the batt
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree with others on the PCM internal voltage regulator controlling the alternator voltage output/when the charging field kicks on. Typically it's the green wire attached to the middle of the alternator which provides constant communications between the PCM/alternator.

The sensor on the bottom of the battery tray is a temp sensor and the PCM won't try to charge a frozen battery. As long as it's connected it should be working and I'm sure there's something with it on high-temps too.

While you may not have the money for a new battery running these ZJ's with a bad one is really hard on the electronics. Also double-check your JY alternator too.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.