battery drains with no reason - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > battery drains with no reason

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
chrishill4000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

battery drains with no reason

I have a 1995 jeep grand cherokee limited. When you let the jeep sit overnight and you try to start the jeep it tries to start then quits and a loud clicking noises comes from the jeep somewhere (cant tell where the click is too loud to tell in the engine bay). after it starts the loud clicking the alarm goes off. if you cut the alarm off and hook jumper cables to the jeep it starts fine. Tested both alternator and the battery and both tested good. no lights are being left on at all not even the light under the hood or anything. Please help.

chrishill4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

time to get out the multimeter and see where the drain is.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Did you load test the battery ???

I have seen part stores be wrong about alternators and/or batteries being good ...

it could just be the battery ...

a simple test is, after driving it (to charge the batt.), park it and disconnect the neg. batt. terminal over night,or even better, 24 hours and see what it does after reconnecting it ...
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

^that.
Your batt could be old and unable to keep the charge well. Happened to me, only my lasted 2 days. 3rd day I had to turn her on, otherwise she wouldn't crank without jumper cables. Replaced batt and all is well. The simplest test is what phitmein said, fully charge batt, disconnect (-) cable overnight or better two, and then see if it cranks. If not, the batt is goodbye. If it does, then ratmonkey's way - multimeter out & see who's missing the bedtime...
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue, I had to ground out my alarm system in my 1995 to stop te drain.

My alarm would go off randomly in the middle of the night for no reason at all.

Even when it didn't it would drain over night for no reason.

It went through 2 brand new batteries in 1 month and an alternator so that's when I said F-it and grounded the alarm. Only thing that seemed plausible.

My iPhone will poison your Android.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

i had a problem like this turned out to be the voltage regulator pcm
Kevin86me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you still have the hood light connected try dis-connecting it. That was what was pulling my battery down. It was staying on all the time.
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Yup, that b'stard has mercury switch in it, can't see it, and if it goes south, light might either be on 24/7 or never come on.
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

Section 8A of the Factory Service Manual describes the troubleshooting technique for finding a high-current, ignition off draw. The typical draw should only be 25 mA.
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

I know you say no lights are being left on but a sticky switch on the brake light @ the pedal was the draw on my wife's '98 zj.

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.