battery disconnect - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > battery disconnect

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

battery disconnect

AS many times you have to disconnect the battery when working on the jeep one of these seems useful. Are they dependable? Any downsides?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-74103...94206a&vxp=mtr

Unread 03-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it can't vibrate loose it should be fine. I've always run one like this in my YJ and Willys. Meant to be a dual battery switch, but I use it backwards and put the truck on 1 and the winch on 2, that way I can disconnect the winch from power most of the time or in an emergency if a solenoid fails closed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEACHOICE-11...d84429&vxp=mtr
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

In my opinion, you'll just be adding something that can go wrong.
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Ba-Ku
1995 ZJ 

I had one installed in all 7 of my Triumphs and i have on one in my ZJ now. If installed correctly, i.e. tight, they are great.

Make sure your connections are tight and clean and you should have no problem.
Ba-Ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Looks like that particular one coralman is a little cheaper on Amazon for $16.25 but can't see the shipping since I'm a prime member. May want to read the reviews since some aren't very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-74103-B...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Know what you mean it's kind of a pain to disconnect the battery every time you disconnect anything electrical like a sensor. I've thought before about going to a brass marine type connector on the neg post with a wing-nut on the top like these below.

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product-p/bt-00639.htm

Have a hard time believing these are really pure brass with the low cost for a pair. Maybe they are but they hit you hard with high shipping/handling costs?

I always thought the square military-style connectors may be better but don't know if the sell one with a wing-nut for a tightening nut? Removing the cables would be easier but don't know if you could turn the wing-nut with it being that close to the top of the battery case?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Ba-Ku
1995 ZJ 

Just so your aware the same part is $7.99 at Auto zone.
Ba-Ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Personally, I'm a big fan of marine terminals. It's just as easy to disconnect, and it makes it easy to add +12v lines for whatever you want.

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

marine terminals aren't generally up to the task for offroad vehicles and accessories. don't even think about adding something like a winch to them. they've been known to melt under load.

same with the screw in/auxiliary terminals on actual marine batteries, not recommended for that kind of use.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
marine terminals aren't generally up to the task for offroad vehicles and accessories. don't even think about adding something like a winch to them. they've been known to melt under load.

same with the screw in/auxiliary terminals on actual marine batteries, not recommended for that kind of use.
OP has a stock 2wd I6. It was just a suggestion. They've fit my needs well over the years. The most I ever had hooked up was two foglights, a Harbor Freight power inverter, and a amplifier. I don't think he needs to be paranoid about his melting and setting his Jeep on fire.

But I agree, for any kind of serious draw the marine terminals would be the weakest link.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The whole thing was I just replaced the harness about a year ago{mega bucks mopar} and the negative terminal is getting weak from the off on cycle. I was just looking for a way I could leave it alone and just disconnect by some other means. Some of them are plated brass which I wont use, but the moroso one was a dull color so I was thinking it might be at least closer to a base metal. I really didn't want to hack off the negative clamp to use something else, since I don't trust a crimp on terminal unless it had been crimped and filled with solder{pellets or silver soldered}.
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

After reading the reviews Uni pointed out they are not so good in all situations. The Flaming river brand does look pretty tough and is similar to what Old Jeep was talking about. Problem is I think I'd have to construct some kind of mounting isolation point... more thought is needed and right now that would make my beer get hot,lol.
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

While searching around for info coralman I ran into this article where wing-nuts for marine battery connectors are a thing of the past and loose connections cause damage to modern outboard motors/computers.

http://outboard-parts.com/battery-te...you-big-money/

Didn't like reading that since ZJ's have enough electrical problems. Even if I had some type of wing-nut type of battery connector I'd probably still be tightening it with a wrench or channel locks.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Just a thought... Since you just want to kill power, why not just shut down the PDC with a switch at the input feed?

Here's one style that would work with a bracket. There may be some other style that would be more suitable.
mds.jpg  
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I was looking at that very switch at HF today Zee. I'll have to study the area around the PDC and see if I can come up with a mount. Went for a set of metric flex head stubby wrenches but they had sold the last set. Going to HF has become yet another monthly trek but its an enjoyable one.
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Grainger has a large selection of kill switches. They are a little pricey though. Consider using a bus bar from the stud on PDC to connect to the stud on the switch. This would mount it and connect it all in one, plus eliminate the need for additional wiring.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.