battery corrosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > battery corrosion

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

battery corrosion

I have a constant problem with corrosion on the negative terminal of my battery. Every month I clean powdery, white corrosion off with terminal cleaner. If I don't do it soon enough then the electrical system goes crazy.

I am 90% sure that the problem is cause by a crack in the battery just next to the terminal. I caused the inch long crack while trying to remove the cable from the post once. I imagine that battery fumes are coming through the crack and causing the corrosion.

I know that eventually I will need to get a new battery because of this, but I'm a poor college kid, so i'm putting it off as long as possible. Can I just put some duct tape or something over the crack to prevent corrosion? JB Weld, maybe?

Thanks.

chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

they sell little felt rings that you put on the battery terminals under the cable. They help prevent corrosion. Also, you can buy an anti-corrosion spray that you spray on the terminals.

Between the two, you shouldn't have any corrosion problems, even with a crack.
steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

I had a felt ring on the battery terminal, but it actually became degraded and fell apart. I'll have to pick up another and also find some anti-corrosion spray. Can I get that at Autozone?
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

I'm pretty sure every auto parts store carries it. It's called "battery terminal protection spray". Or something similar.
steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Katesdad

farmers use grease
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
farmers use grease
i usually use vaseline and a felt ring.

this thread seems like it could get a bit raunchy at this rate.....

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
3xX
1994 ZJ 

Try using the felt rings as those above have suggested. They also sell a sealant at most auto stores, maybe even Wally world might have it. Comes in a small aerosol can which you spray on the terminals that seals the connection so corrosion can't form. I use both the felt rings and the sealant and I never have any corrosion. Prior to that, I always had corrosion on the terminal posts.
Unread 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

I superglued a couple of pennies between the terminals. The corrosion is attracted to the copper of the pennies, and it worked for a while to keep my terminals pretty clean.
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Use an older penny for more copper. (pre-1982 I believe) There's not enough copper in them now to make it work well.

I had a crack in my battery like you describe. It wasn't long before the cell under that crack got low on acid and the cell causing the battery to fail and not hold charge. I could even see where little drips were surounding the crack and attracting road dust.

As sensitive as these rigs are to weak batteries, keep some cables handy along with about $70 and a set of sockets and extension (for the batt. hold-down bracket) to replace yours when time comes. (Typical SOP for a Jeep, right?)
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

i bet if you are corroding constantly that you have some cracks aorund the terminal. At least mine did. Take it off and wash everything really well with baking soda water and then rinse and tehn inspect the top of the batter for cracks around the post. They will let sulfuric acid fumes escape and corrde things really fast.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstromberg View Post
I have a constant problem with corrosion on the negative terminal of my battery. Every month I clean powdery, white corrosion off with terminal cleaner. If I don't do it soon enough then the electrical system goes crazy.

I am 90% sure that the problem is cause by a crack in the battery just next to the terminal. I caused the inch long crack while trying to remove the cable from the post once. I imagine that battery fumes are coming through the crack and causing the corrosion.

I know that eventually I will need to get a new battery because of this, but I'm a poor college kid, so i'm putting it off as long as possible. Can I just put some duct tape or something over the crack to prevent corrosion? JB Weld, maybe?

Thanks.
I think most every other poster missed the part about the crack in the battery.
Seal it up with RTV and you should be good to go.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.