battery or alternator - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > battery or alternator

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
This.

The expected life of a car battery is 3 to 5 years. If you got 6 years out of a Walmart Special, you did good man.
they say if you get 2 years out of it here in the AZ heat, you're money ahead.

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
cryptic3

My battery died the past week when its been in the hundreds here in Texas
cryptic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
cryptic3

Ok so I bought another battery...... now dont ***** me out but I bought a rebuilt battery 25 dollars, and after 3 weeks the battery once again start but sounds like it has low charge... and just today this morning the battery is, dead.... is it because of the battery I bought or maybe there is a leak somewhere. Any ideas where I can start
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic3 View Post
Any ideas where I can start
Do you have meter and know how to use it? If so, do this
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
cryptic3

I dont have a meter
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

rebuilt battery? how the hell do you rebuild a battery?

id buy a brand new battery
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Usually "rebuilt" batteries are cores or used batteries that the shop puts on a charger and load tests. If they pass they clean them up and sell them as rebuilt. In Texas you have to call them "used". It's a crap shoot though. A lot of batteries get replaced that are perfectly good but you also get marginal batteries that can pass the load test right off the charger but will not last in a car.

Agreed though, I'd never touch a used or rebuilt battery. Always buy new. Also be aware that 90% of the batteries you see on the shelf are made by Johnson controls so it doesn't matter if you buy an Autozone, Napa, OReillys, Advanced, or Walmart battery. They are all identical.
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
cryptic3

Thanks zjosh93... I know it was a risk just thought Id take a chance and test my luck guess this time I had none.... ill get a brand new battery and see if that will work I might buy battery cables but I dont know hiw to change them out.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I dont have a meter
Meters are a prerequisite to owning a ZJ. Anyone who doesn't have one must sell their ZJ and start over.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
cryptic3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

Meters are a prerequisite to owning a ZJ. Anyone who doesn't have one must sell their ZJ and start over.
Was that necessary?
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
cryptic3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

But your right I need tools im not a mechanic im a computer nerd. But I have my jeep and my wife has a van.... I want to get into to this and fix my own vehicles thats why I come to you guys
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Was that necessary?
No, but a meter is if you want to save yourself some cash while owning a ZJ. It wasn't a personal attack, just an attempt at sarcastic humor.

Honestly, If you have the smarts to be a computer / IT / software type, you have the ability to use a meter and inerpret the results. Without one you are just guessing and, in most cases, so is everyone else who may offer advise. You can pick a cheap one up for around 15-20 bucks. You can get that back by ruling out one sensor you would have otherwise changed. They are good to have for other household stuff too.

There are some things you can do without them, like give everything a good cleaning and inspection, and you need a basic set of tools for that.

There are some good youtube videos that give instructions on basic troubleshooting of charging systems and most of them involve using a meter. So does the link I provided earlier.

You might get lucky and replace the battery and all will be well. If not it will take some troubleshooting to figure out what's really wrong with it.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Usually "rebuilt" batteries are cores or used batteries that the shop puts on a charger and load tests. If they pass they clean them up and sell them as rebuilt. In Texas you have to call them "used". It's a crap shoot though. A lot of batteries get replaced that are perfectly good but you also get marginal batteries that can pass the load test right off the charger but will not last in a car.

Agreed though, I'd never touch a used or rebuilt battery. Always buy new. Also be aware that 90% of the batteries you see on the shelf are made by Johnson controls so it doesn't matter if you buy an Autozone, Napa, OReillys, Advanced, or Walmart battery. They are all identical.
makes sense. id never touch a used battery either, not with a 10 foot pole
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
cryptic3

Ok ok i Learned my lesson. Never buy used batteries. Did another test. Let the car run for about 20 minutes then I disconnected the battery and in the morning ill reconnect it and see if its dead. Only thing I can do till paid day so I can get a volt meter
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
cryptic3

So after reconnecting, it barely had enough juice to turn over but it did. I turned it off as I realized the negative cable wasnt screwing on tight after some rethreading I put the battery back in made sure everything was tightened. Went to turn her on...... and didnt have enough juice to turn on.... so does it sound like its the p.o.s. battery that I bought for $25 thats crap? I boosted up the battert let it run for 20 minutes, then disconnect both terminals over night in the morning this was the resukts5

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.