Battery/ altenator problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery/ altenator problems?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
joshy_squash81
1996 ZJ 

Battery/ altenator problems?

I put a new battery in my ZJ back in November so I could move it into the garage and I didn't touch it until about a month ago, its Maine so its been cold so I understand that if you let it sit for 2-3 months it would drain the battery but the last couple days it takes about 15 minutes to jump-start it using my truck then I let it run for about 15 minutes, then I go back about 30 minutes later and it starts fine and I let it run some more but I go out the next morning and the battery is completely flat so I'm not sure whats going on here, there isn't anything drawing power that I know of so I was thinking the altenator but I don't know what do you guys think? I love it but this thing has been a pain in my *** lately.

joshy_squash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy_squash81 View Post
I put a new battery in my ZJ back in November so I could move it into the garage and I didn't touch it until about a month ago, its Maine so its been cold so I understand that if you let it sit for 2-3 months it would drain the battery but the last couple days it takes about 15 minutes to jump-start it using my truck then I let it run for about 15 minutes, then I go back about 30 minutes later and it starts fine and I let it run some more but I go out the next morning and the battery is completely flat so I'm not sure whats going on here, there isn't anything drawing power that I know of so I was thinking the altenator but I don't know what do you guys think? I love it but this thing has been a pain in my *** lately.
You need to put the battery on a trickle charger overnight and test it with a multimeter. Just running it for 15 minutes won't charge it. Driving it for a full day wouldn't even charge it all the way.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Impulsive94ZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You need to put the battery on a trickle charger overnight and test it with a multimeter. Just running it for 15 minutes won't charge it. Driving it for a full day wouldn't even charge it all the way.
PolkaPower is exactly correct. I just went through this with my 94' after letting it sit for months with a blown trans. After jumping it a couple of days in a row I finally pulled the battery, put it on a trickle charge until its over 40% then switched to a higher charge until 100%. I have not have anymore problems.
94' ZJ Laredo: 218k, 99' GC Leather Seats, Ait intake, Electric Fan, 01' Intake, 1 5/8" Header, Warlock Muffler Dumped, Rubicon Express 3.5" Coil Springs, RE Mono-Tube Shocks, JKS Adj Rear UPR/LWR Control Arms, JKS Fnt/Rear Adj Track Bars, 33x12.5x15 General Grabbers on Outlaw II's

01' WJ Limited: STOCK
Impulsive94ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

A fully charged battery will only last 20 days due to the draw from the memory functions.
Like Polka said you need to fully charge it on an external charger overnight to get it back up to full charge. The generator is only in there to maintain what is being drawn off the battery during normal operations. It isn't a charger.
If you don't use the Jeep that often, disconnect the battery and get one of those inexpensive trickle chargers to maintain it. The battery will go bad if you repeatedly discharge if too many times.
If it drains overnight or within a 2 day period you have a parasitic draw.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Meik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ
A fully charged battery will only last 20 days due to the draw from the memory functions.
Like Polka said you need to fully charge it on an external charger overnight to get it back up to full charge. The generator is only in there to maintain what is being drawn off the battery during normal operations. It isn't a charger.
If you don't use the Jeep that often, disconnect the battery and get one of those inexpensive trickle chargers to maintain it. The battery will go bad if you repeatedly discharge if too many times.
If it drains overnight or within a 2 day period you have a parasitic draw.
How could I find the draw, my 96 Grand has been running fine, yet sat for three days and it's flat.
Meik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Get out your multimeter that can read amps. Disconnect positive cable from battery and position it away from positive post. Set meter to low amp setting, you're checking for milliamps here. Hold positive meter cable to positive post on battery. Hold negative meter cable to positive cable from jeep. Now that the circuit is completed your meter should show no more than about .035 amps. If it is a lot higher, start pulling fuses one by one until it drops. Start with a fully charged battery.
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Meik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantheheeler
Get out your multimeter that can read amps. Disconnect positive cable from battery and position it away from positive post. Set meter to low amp setting, you're checking for milliamps here. Hold positive meter cable to positive post on battery. Hold negative meter cable to positive cable from jeep. Now that the circuit is completed your meter should show no more than about .035 amps. If it is a lot higher, start pulling fuses one by one until it drops. Start with a fully charged battery.
Pulled te battery out and have it on charge. Hopefully get to marplins tomorrow and pick up multimeter
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Meik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meik

Pulled te battery out and have it on charge. Hopefully get to marplins tomorrow and pick up multimeter
So I pulled the battery out, charged it over night,then put it ack in, following day dead as a dodo so guessing the battery is mullered.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like it. A new one is cheap enough insurance over getting stranded.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meik View Post
So I pulled the battery out, charged it over night,then put it ack in, following day dead as a dodo so guessing the battery is mullered.
I never heard the term "mullered" before, but I presume it means bad. Not a good presumption to make.

You need to charge the battery again fully, then take it to be load tested. They'll do that at the place you bought the battery from to confirm a bad battery before warrantying it out.

If the battery checks out good then take it home and do a current draw test on your Jeep. I won't go through the procedure here, Google it and you'll get hundreds of hits telling you how to do a draw test.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Meik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling

I never heard the term "mullered" before, but I presume it means bad. Not a good presumption to make.

You need to charge the battery again fully, then take it to be load tested. They'll do that at the place you bought the battery from to confirm a bad battery before warrantying it out.

If the battery checks out good then take it home and do a current draw test on your Jeep. I won't go through the procedure here, Google it and you'll get hundreds of hits telling you how to do a draw test.

Ken
One new battery installed , tested it and it's reading 12.6 volts, disconnected the positive cable and checked for drain didn't read anything so that's good hopeful,y was just a duff battery.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.