Ballooning Radiator Hose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ballooning Radiator Hose?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ballooning Radiator Hose?

What does this mean when my top radiator hose is swelling and under pressure. It is like a balloon ready to pop. Fluid started to seep out from under the hose clamp. The lower hose seems to still be squishy (sp?) a bit. and NOT as hot? Everything else seems normal. Coolant full. The new heater coil is working ok. The temp never really gets hot. It seems to say just below the middle mark on the guage exactly where it should be.

01 4.7

3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

yet a new one before it explodes.
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Diddy4895
2000 WJ 

Mine was about to burst like this when my engine was overheating due to a bad relay.
Paul
SOLD!!!
Diddy4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Just a bad hose. It happens. Replace it before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

replace the hose.
-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Replace the hose, as others have said. The lower hose will always be cooler, as the top hose is coolant from engine --> radiator, and the lower hose is the now-cooled coolant going back from raidator --> engine.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
cmonson

quit reading this post and replace the hose. A new hose also should recieve new clamps as well IMO.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson View Post
quit reading this post and replace the hose. A new hose also should recieve new clamps as well IMO.
I gave up on using the OEM pinch clamps long ago. I use metal screw down pipe clamps now on all connections for the radiator. with all my jeeps all of them have had an OEM clamp fail.

I'm sure my hose needs to be replaced but it does seem odd that the top hose is so pressurized and the lower hose is so NOT presurized.
Unread 09-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Pressures about the same, the top hose is just loosing it's reinforcement cords inside, causing it to swell.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
cmonson

also, for reference, the MOPAR hoses available from Jeep are actually less money than NAPA. Build quality is much better as well as you get the screen on them for added protection.

Know seeing that you top hose is bad, it probably means the bottom hose is bad as well. Well you are at it, also replace the heater core hoses. Flush everything as well...

Do something right and do it once.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
ARFuniN
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Lee View Post
I gave up on using the OEM pinch clamps long ago. I use metal screw down pipe clamps now on all connections for the radiator. with all my jeeps all of them have had an OEM clamp fail.

I'm sure my hose needs to be replaced but it does seem odd that the top hose is so pressurized and the lower hose is so NOT presurized.
The entire system is running at a pressure above atmospheric. As mentioned in one of the other posts, the upper hose is at about the same point as the cap so it sees the pressure noted on the cap.

Also as mentioned in one of the other posts, replace it along with the lower...as well as all the other hoses. Some things should be addressed on condition while others should be addressed at the first sign of problems so that the problems get addressed at home and not on the trail.
ARFuniN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Not so odd - the lower hose is under suction from the pump drawing coolant from the radiator. That suction can counter the pressure within the system, and it's actually more common for the lower hose to collapse in use than to swell. The upper hose will tend to swell.

If one hose is ballooning, belling, or collapsing on you, replace both of them. Keep them the same age so you can keep track of what's happening when (tagging the hose with the date installed isn't a bad idea, either. Failing that, log it in your notebook.) If the coolant is relatively new, you can catch it in a large clean bowl and reuse what you capture (as long as it's not draining over a dirty engine. You don't want oil/grease/grit getting in there.)
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

That he has a 2001, is there also a chance that the radiator is not flowing well?

Maybe just well enough for the fan to keep up with the temp around town, but on the highway, I wonder if it starts to overheat under load?

Airborne Lee: Is it possible for you to tow something on the highway to really tell?

If so, a new radiator is in your future too. My hoses are still fine and I've not heard of the OEM units failing after this many years but I am aware (personally and from this forum) that the OEM radiators are weak points for circulation over time....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

My problem is fixed.

Last year I had to replace my radiator and my hoses were ok so I reused them.

After replacing the heater core last week EVERYTHING leaked. I had to go back and reseat all the hoses (Including heater hoses) by making sure they were all the way on and the clamps were in the right place. I never found anything actually wrong but the old adage holds true. Take it apart and put it back together and it will work.

Another day later the water pump failed and I replaced it along with the thermostat and lower rad hose. The upper seemed ok!

The next day the upper hose began to swell and leak through the clamps. Replaced it and it is ok. But of course (for those of you keeping score), the air conditioning dischage line sprung a leak.
Unread 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
RHINOZJ
1994 ZJ 

Well you can't win for loosing, but re-using hoses from a previous radiator swap probably didn't help either. Glad it is all fixed, but I'm sorry to hear you still have more to do.

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"]Built Not Bought #144[/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
RHINOZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.