Ball Joints - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ball Joints

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
matholland
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastaljag98 View Post
Haven't had to do the Jeep yet and its a 95. Hopefully it's not as bad as the 98 Jaguar I have. We had to use a torch and heat them and use the cutting torch to cut them out as the press just pushed thru the center and left the rest!!! I hope I NEVER have to do that again!
sounds like you had a bad experience lol.

I pressed my lowers in, and beat the uppers in, the press wasn't working right for the uppers for some reason...they were a bit of a bugger to get out though i will say that....lots of pressure from the press and a hammer lol

matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Jeeps need the offset balljoint adapter to get them in straight I think. On my list, and I bought the HF press but bought a set of 4WD adapters to go with it. The main one is a wedge shape. Don't expect much from the HF press but if it works for 4 BJ's it can explode after that.
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Coastaljag98
1995 ZJ 

i rented a ball joint press and it didn't work. These were pains in the ***.
Coastaljag98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

I bought the OTC Ball Joint Press when I did my ball joints. They were pretty well seized in at 200k miles, took me about 13 hours to do all 4. However if I had to do it again right now, probably do it in about 4.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you need the full 4wd service kit. the big box of stuff.
otherwise you'll be hammering away like these guys.
and hammering on the ball joints doesn't get them seated right and 99% of the time destroys the body or bends the c.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Ya, you definitely don't want to pound a way on the ball joints with a hammer. its pretty much going to make you hate the job even more. Get the press, enjoy life (plus, as soon as you buy it, you're almost guaranteed to know someone is going to say they need it)
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.