Ball joint replacment--4 foot breaker bar??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ball joint replacment--4 foot breaker bar???

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

Ball joint replacment--4 foot breaker bar???

I'm replacing all four ball joints on my 93 zj and am having some trouble. I don't quite understand how the press works. The directions tell me one way that will not work at all so i've attemped a few of my own ways and eventually got one out.. but i do not know exactly how they work.. i've already read 2 write ups but they do not explain it in detail. Does anyone know of one that takes you through step by step? Also when putting the adapter on the bal joint do you want it to be on the bolt (threads) or put over the threads so it sticks out the back? Another thing i don't get is which way the bottom ball joint is pressed out. The upper ball joint was pressed out upward so i assumed the same on the bottom, after nothing was happening i took the press off and took a look at the new ball joints on how they go in. It appears they need pressed out from the top. On my new ones theres a ring clip that holds it on but on the one i'm trying to take off there is nada... so i guess i'm trying to ask if there is anything the is holding the bottom ball joint on or can i just press it out like the top one? THanks for all the help....And just to take the upper ball joint off i had to use a 4 foot breaker bar, i guess thats what you have to do after 16 years of rust

ZJcrawler45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

here, enjoy

http://www.ktioffroad.com/2007/09/02...t-replacement/
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

Alright i still have some more questions that a forgot to mention... One is the snap ring for the lower ball joints, do i need to use them or not? THe old ones did not have any and i read online that there not always required. Another question i have is whether or not you can install a zerk grease fitting on the lower ball joint because the possibility of coming in contact with the axle. Also if you cannot leave a grease fitting on the lower ball joint what do you use for a plug, just a small bolt or are there fittings specially made?
Unread 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
BradMB2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123

that's a good one, sticky in FAQ???
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJcrawler45
Alright i still have some more questions that a forgot to mention... One is the snap ring for the lower ball joints, do i need to use them or not? THe old ones did not have any and i read online that there not always required. Another question i have is whether or not you can install a zerk grease fitting on the lower ball joint because the possibility of coming in contact with the axle. Also if you cannot leave a grease fitting on the lower ball joint what do you use for a plug, just a small bolt or are there fittings specially made?

Use the snap ring, if there is room for it (there should be) The ball joints should come with a plug for when the grease fitting is not in. And no, do not leave the grease fitting in, there will be problems with clearance.

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

What do i use to plug the grease fitting hole? are there special grease fitting plugs or do you just use a small bolt? I guess using the snap ring leads me to another question; why didn't the original ones from the factory have a snap ring on them?
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...balljoints.htm
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

oh yes I'm dreading this because mine need to be done as well....
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Its really not that hard of a job, as long as you put the BJ press on the right way...

Seriously though, once i put the bj press on right, it went like butter

Good Tools to have:
Pitman arm puller or tie rod puller
breaker bar
1/2 ratchet (i recently inherited one before this job, made everything easier)
Set of deep sockets
pickle fork (could not have removed the knuckle without it)
sledge hammer (could not have used the pickle fork effectively without it)
lots of grease, oil, and patience.

Good Luck!

harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

which ones did you guys use? I got on Napa's website and see a 24.99, a 51.00 and a 94.00 balljoint for upper and the same for lower...so which ones did you guys get?
Unread 01-01-2008, 01:12 AM   #11
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

It's actually not that difficult at all. Like Yardman said, the hardest part for me was figuring out how to use the BJ press correctly, and you also have to compensate for the angle difference by being creative if you do a loan-a-tool service. Another hard thing would be though is if you have not touched your front end yet.. all i can say is good luck with the rust. I've had to do many unique things to get mine all apart.

One more question, where do i get plugs for where the grease fittings are? Autozone didn't have any and none came with my ball joints (cheapies), and i can't leave the zerk fittings on because they definitely hit the axle. If worst comes to worst can i just put a little tiny bolt in there?

By the way i'm replacing 4 ball joints and 3 TRE's and i ordered them ALL for $80 shipped off ebay.. yes i know they're cheap but i don't want to spend any more money on my ol' jeep than i have to. And yes i know someones going to say i'm gonna have to replace them in 2 months...
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

so probably i shouldnt buy the $24.00 one but the get the $54.00 one...
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJcrawler45
By the way i'm replacing 4 ball joints and 3 TRE's and i ordered them ALL for $80 shipped off ebay.. yes i know they're cheap but i don't want to spend any more money on my ol' jeep than i have to. And yes i know someones going to say i'm gonna have to replace them in 2 months...
What brand ball joint did you go with? I have to do mine this week.

Also what did you find to plug the grease hole?

How did the whole process work out for you? I have all the tools and know how, just lacking the ball-joint press and I'm indecisive about which ball joint to go with.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Absolutexero
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so i've fooled around with my front suspension enough to know how to adjust the toe (which you really shouldnt do unless you have an alignment machine, home alignments are a pain !!!) but how do you adjust the camber and caster with those adjustable ball joints? it looks like just an offset bolt in the joint which seems like if you adjusted the caster angle forward or backward it would affect the camber angle at the same time.

if you crank the caster forward, it looks like you just rotate it to where the bolt is toward the front of the jeep, say if you only adjusted it halfway forward it seems like you'd be castered in or out depending on how you rotated it

like if this is the upper ball joint (viewed from the top) rotated for rear caster 0-
and this is for front caster -0
if you rotated it 90* wouldnt it camber you out (or in depending on which direction you rotated it)?
~6" Franken-lift (2" CSS/ Rusty's 180lb 3" front springs, S10 bastard pack w/ 3" Rusty's AAL)
Absolutexero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

who brought my thread back from the dead?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.