Ball Joint Removal / Installation CORRECT Tool? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ball Joint Removal / Installation CORRECT Tool?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Ball Joint Removal / Installation CORRECT Tool?

I searched everywhere and could not find a definitive answer.

There are a lot of ball joint write ups but I do not feel like any of them mention which removal / install tool they are using.

I understand the correct ball joint press for the application has to have special angled adapters in order to press them in straight.

The POS rentals from the local parts store are definitely not adequate.

Anyone have any advice? part numbers at least?

Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

The press from the local parts store works fine for me. What are you having trouble with?

This guy has a three video process on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMBVkCLpo0
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ball joints can be done without the Chrysler/Jeep adapters, but the adapters do make the job faster and less frustrating.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
The press from the local parts store works fine for me. What are you having trouble with?

This guy has a three video process on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMBVkCLpo0
Part 2 @ 9:00

Notice his wide variety of ball joint adapters.
Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Didn't even notice.

I just rented the ball joint press (has 3-4 different "cups" and 3-4 different bases) and had no problems with alignment when installing. They go in pretty easy if you clean/grease the knuckle. I just used a 1/2" ratchet with a cheater bar and had no issues.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

if you have any lift on your zj you could look into adjustable ball joints ... they give you a bit more adjustment on top of the adjustment in the arms w the cam bolt ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

I just did mine last week. Rented the press AutoZone had. It worked ok. I did have to fangle the cup for the lower BJ removal, the cup was pinching between the knuckle and the ball joint. If the cup was notched it woulda been a lot easier. Imho.. I think some cups come that way.
I guess what I'm saying is if I could find a adapter set that had those for $20/30 bucks I would buy them and then rent the kit from your parts store..
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
mdelosrey

I've used this clamp with various adapters. Don't forget to wear eye protection.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oe...FUWVfgodkmEAwg
mdelosrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

This might help. Balljoints start at post4.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1518536/

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I recommend the OTC press with D30 adapters. I've seen many guys screw up their outer C's because they were not using the proper adapters.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
Muskitokid
1994 ZJ 

I just did mine recently with the tool from O'reilly. Had to improvise a bit to accomodate the angle (used the edge of a washer to fill the gap) but got it done none the less. And I'm still learning as I go on this diy repair stuff. Between JF and youtube, you can do it!
Muskitokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.