Bad Wheel Bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad Wheel Bearing?

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
purplecty
2003 WJ 

Bad Wheel Bearing?

what are the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing? i have a loud howl/hum coming from front end. seems to get a lot louder at higher speeds. very loud can barely hear radio on HWY. it is constant whether stepping on gas or not it just stays howling/humming. can this be bad wheel bearings? 2003 WJ 4.0 136,000 miles

purplecty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
soul_Less
1994 ZJ 

on my zj, it kinda sounds like you're driving over rumble strips on the highway..
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
what are the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing? i have a loud howl/hum coming from front end. seems to get a lot louder at higher speeds. very loud can barely hear radio on HWY. it is constant whether stepping on gas or not it just stays howling/humming. can this be bad wheel bearings? 2003 WJ 4.0 136,000 miles
Lift the front end off the ground. Roll each wheel by hand and feel for a gringing/rubbing/notchy feel. Listen for noise.

Grab the tire by the top and the bottom and shake back and forth (to the inside and the outside) and feel for a clunk or some play.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

At least in my case there was a noticeable change in the driving and handling, my wheel bearing blowing caused death wobble, the lift and shake method works, if you do tight corners in a parking lot you feel it click, grind, or steering vibes thats another way to check, that is what mine was doing and how it was diagnosed.
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
purplecty
2003 WJ 

i do notice a click in the steering wheel. but it seemed like something in column. always thought it was like just something loose in the steering wheel. could i have a bad wheel bearing?
purplecty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.