Is this a bad water pump? (With pictures!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is this a bad water pump? (With pictures!)

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Is this a bad water pump? (With pictures!)

I'm chasing down a coolant leak after my buddy informed me of my Jeep smoking under load, but now I'm thinking they are two different issues. The smoke is gray-ish and could be from oil rather than coolant.

Anyway, it sat in the garage overnight so I snapped some pictures of the coolant leakage. I have coolant running down from both the front of the engine and as far back as the oil pan/Y-pipe area. I'm thinking that the water pump could be letting coolant out and the coolant is catching the lip of the oil pan and dripping down from there.

An idea of the amount of coolant drip from ~3 pm Friday to 8 pm Saturday. Not too much.

Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

sure looks like a water pump to me!!

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

with the water pump being a notorious problem in the 5.2 i would say so
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

if you can see the bootom of the pump ... it has a hole in the bottom.... kind of a sign on failure device ...

i would replace the pump as soon as possible.... because it could lead to major repairs such as a radiator and what ever else the fan blades decide to take out.....

it's not that hard of job.... although it does have a few cussing moments.... like why did they put that there..
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
with the water pump being a notorious problem in the 5.2 i would say so
It's a 4.0 Water pump seems to be common on both, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driabyor View Post
if you can see the bootom of the pump ... it has a hole in the bottom.... kind of a sign on failure device ...
Are you saying that you see a hole in my water pump that shouldn't be there, or that they designed all of them with a hole in the bottom?

Also, will they tend to go out slowly or just all of a sudden take a crap? I start school back on Wednesday so I'm thinking about pushing the repair back to fall break. I have another vehicle I can drive if this one becomes disabled, but so far I have no cooling issues at all other than refilling the reservoir every now and then.
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
Quote:
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseewj View Post
Are you saying that you see a hole in my water pump that shouldn't be there, or that they designed all of them with a hole in the bottom?
Nevermind this question, already found the answer.

http://jeepin.com/features/waterpump/index.asp
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.