BAD vibration, TC?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-14-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
SunWolf
1995 ZJ 

BAD vibration, TC??

ok, a little back story. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not totally "wrench stupid" either. My current jeep is a '95 ZJ Q-trak with 125K+ miles. I bought it a few months ago from the original owner, who used it mainly for highway trailer towing...I know him, so I know he is telling the truth. I bought it knowing full well there was a problem of some sort developing, more than likely in the TC.

The original problem was as follows: after extended driving (50+ miles at 55-65 mph), when making tight maneuvers like turning into a parking space the front tires would scrub and jerk on occasion...maybe one time out of 10 trips. I had the local Jeep Dealer service the TC, but still did the same thing. Yeah, trouble brewing...VC maybe, I think the 249 has a VC??

Symptoms changed a couple days ago, and I parked it till I figure out if my diagnosis is correct. I was driving it at about 35 mph when all of a sudden the steering wheel began to shake and the engine sounds changed and it sounded and felt like I had dropped a cylinder. I pulled into a parking lot and popped the hood...much to my surprise, the motor is humming along without missing a beat. hhmmmmm, ok, get back in, hold the brake and put it in gear. Wheel shaking a little bit, but sounds better. Let the brake go and idled across the parking lot...little shake, not sounding to bad. Give it a LITTLE gas...little more shake, sounds the same...

It's a mile and a half to the house...figure I might as well take it home. Turn back onto the street and give it gas and it feels like it's gonna shake itself to death. I bump the trany out of gear and the shake and sound go away almost completely as it rolls down the road. Got it limped home.

So I figure I have a trany or TC gone out. Since the trany has NEVER given a lick of trouble and has NEVER even leaked a drop of fluid, and considering the original problem, I'm leaning to replacing the TC.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm hoping you all can tell me if I'm headed in the right direction, or if I'm out in left field??? Cause right now I'm....

Thanks for looking, and PLEASE HELP...Lol

~Kat
'95 GC Limited, stock.
Live well, Laugh often, Love deeply...an' it harm none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Some of your symptoms definatly indicate the VC is going bad, but vibration is not typically one of those symptoms.
For the vibrations, I'd start by checking drive shaft ujoints/CV joints.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.