is this bad valve guides? 00' 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > is this bad valve guides? 00' 4.7

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
acidspit86

is this bad valve guides? 00' 4.7

I have a 2000 grand cherokee with the 4.7 and 134k miles. I get a puff of blue smoke sometimes when starting it when its already up to temp. I also get a puff of blue smoke when accelerating from a stop (just a puff of smoke, not a stream) and a little sometimes when idling for long periods of time. I think I have bad valve guides, am I right? If so, how hard of a fix is it to replace them?

acidspit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

idk mine does it everynow and again when idleing long and its hot outside??
Unread 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
oldfamilyguy

heads have to come off, guides pressed out and new ones in. I don't think thats the problem though, oil leaking down that way is usually just the seals, can be done with the heads on. but I don't think thats it either, that usually shows a little smoke on cold start up after sitting, after oil has had a chance to leak down a bit. sounds like your just starting to burn oil, most likely rings are worn. do a dry/wet compression test, that should tell you.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

ive had a compression test on my 4.0 I6 zj and everytest they ran was fine???? but its just when it idels for a bit the ill look out my passsenger window and see smoke but i can also smell gas when i park then turn off the jeep?? but it hasnt ever acted up on me ,stalled,not started,etc.etc...
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
acidspit86

though i havent done a compression test, i dont think its rings because i havent noticed a loss in power or gas mileage. plus dont rings smoke on acceleration? i only get smoke for a second when i initially touch the gas...
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Try getting the Jeep up to about 35-40 mph, lift your foot off the gas, and put the tranny into 2nd. If you get blue smoke while doing this, it's most likely valve guides. Be aware, when you do this, the Jeep will slow down fairly quickly.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

would that also apply towards my symptoms asswell? the guys a tuffy suggested to me that i might have bad rings??
Unread 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad rings smoke all the time. A puff when first accelerating after idling, like when you leave a light, is a fairly clear symptom of bad valve guides. And to the guy who suggested 'it's just seals'... no, it's NEVER just seals. If you replace the seals, it'll clear up for a week or a month, but it's just a bandaid, as the real problem is excessive guide to valve stem clearance.

Might be cheaper to replace the head than have a good shop rebuild yours; a valve guide replacement runs 150 or so, 100+ for clean and disassemble, have to do a valve job while you're at it because the centers of the new guides will not be exactly the same as the old ones, so another couple hundred, 100 to reassemble and set spring height and validate pressures... Springs and valves may need replacement, and new lifters are always a good idea... Price of the Alabama Cylinder Heads new replacement with all new parts looks pretty decent at that point.

(And no, you can't just whack the old guides out with a hammer and pound in some new one, specialized tools are absolutely required.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
acidspit86

So it sounds like junkyard heads are probably the best bet here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Bad rings smoke all the time. A puff when first accelerating after idling, like when you leave a light, is a fairly clear symptom of bad valve guides. And to the guy who suggested 'it's just seals'... no, it's NEVER just seals. If you replace the seals, it'll clear up for a week or a month, but it's just a bandaid, as the real problem is excessive guide to valve stem clearance.

Might be cheaper to replace the head than have a good shop rebuild yours; a valve guide replacement runs 150 or so, 100+ for clean and disassemble, have to do a valve job while you're at it because the centers of the new guides will not be exactly the same as the old ones, so another couple hundred, 100 to reassemble and set spring height and validate pressures... Springs and valves may need replacement, and new lifters are always a good idea... Price of the Alabama Cylinder Heads new replacement with all new parts looks pretty decent at that point.

(And no, you can't just whack the old guides out with a hammer and pound in some new one, specialized tools are absolutely required.
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidspit86 View Post
So it sounds like junkyard heads are probably the best bet here?

when the headon my 240 blew i went to a head shop for a new head and they were suprisingly cheaper than the junkyards were and i ended up gettin a new re-built head for $100 plus the core charge soo..look into so head shops around youre area and price'em also try quadratec
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
acidspit86

just a thought... i have the 4.7 regular, not high output. can i swap in a high output head? it would be nice to have the extra power from the different cam
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
JForest2
2004 WJ 

I don't know if you can or not.. But just the heads alone isn't what gives the HO a whole 30hp extra... Honestly I have a HO and when you mash the gas it doesn't feel like it has more power than a regular 4.7.

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

how many miles is on you're motor??
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
ZJboondox
1993 ZJ 

i doubt it from just replacing the head.
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
acidspit86

134,000 miles. i know people buy HO cams because they are different. i know not all the power gain is just the cams, but i hear its about 20hp. i figure if im swapping heads, ill gear a complete head, from a HO if it fits

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.