Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ

Hey guys, I have been chasing a vibration that is coming from what seems like the rear of the ZJ. It is way more prominent during acceleration at a range of speeds. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel.
So far I:
-Rebalanced the rear tires
-Had a new hanger welded onto the exhaust because it was loose
-Replaced the transmission mount

Still have the exact same vibes. I did some more searching and it led me to take a closer look at the U-Joints. I see metal exposed in the one section of the U-joint. It looks like it separated a little bit.

Can any of you tell me if you see anything wrong just from the pics?

If it is the U-Joint, where should I get a replacement part?

Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

From the pics I can't tell if it's bad, just see the dust shield has moved. Usually with a bad u-joint you will hear a clicking noise. Did you grab the driveshaft and see if there was any play in the joints?

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
RWC

A clicking is more likely to be a front u-joint (an axle shaft u-joint in particular).

You'll get a bad vibration under acceleration with a rear driveshaft u-joint, so I agree that this is the likely culprit. Put the parking brake on and the transmission or t-case in neutral (with the engine off so you don't accidentally drive over yourself) and crawl under there. Grab the driveshaft near the u-joint and try to rotate it and wiggle it back and forth. If there's any play AT ALL, then the u-joint is bad.

Replacing a u-joint is a good learning experience. Go to your local parts store and buy a new u-joint. If you're careful and don't bend the ears, you can replace it with just a hammer, a socket, and a pair of pliers. It's easier to do it with a good vice or a press. Search for a thread with instructions.

Assuming that your screen name reflects your ZJ, when you hit up your local parts store, make sure to specify that you've got a 'Niner. The 5.9L came with a larger rear u-joint than the 5.2L.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, boys. I did try to move the driveshaft, but it was in park and it didn't really move much. I'll try it in neutral tomorrow. I did do some homework on replacing the part and it definitely seems doable. Thanks so much! I'd like to find a definitive part number for the U-Joint for the 5.9.
Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Btt
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

U joints are a higher frequency vibration than a wheel vibration since your driveline is turning a lot faster than your wheels. That can help diagnose where it is coming from.
zacko-zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

And why do you need a part number? That's what the parts guy is for
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
RWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point9Limited View Post
Btt
Did you go wiggle the u-joint with the Jeep in neutral? Based on the fact that you just bumped it without a report, my guess is not. You need to help us to be able to help you.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

If in doubt change the u joints. They aren't that expensive
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Well, I did the neutral test and it looked real sloppy. Dropped the DS and the thing just fell apart. I think I found my problem. THanks again, boys.

Zacko-ZJ I want part numbers because they are not correct in any of the systems because the 5.9 has a heavy duty DS. I want the correct one. Thanks for your helpful comment.
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

looks like a regular 1310 ujoint went in where the niner takes the larger (1330 iirc) u joint

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.