Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Bad U-Joint? *Pics* PLEASE HELP! 5.9 ZJ

Hey guys, I have been chasing a vibration that is coming from what seems like the rear of the ZJ. It is way more prominent during acceleration at a range of speeds. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel.
So far I:
-Rebalanced the rear tires
-Had a new hanger welded onto the exhaust because it was loose
-Replaced the transmission mount

Still have the exact same vibes. I did some more searching and it led me to take a closer look at the U-Joints. I see metal exposed in the one section of the U-joint. It looks like it separated a little bit.

Can any of you tell me if you see anything wrong just from the pics?

If it is the U-Joint, where should I get a replacement part?

Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

From the pics I can't tell if it's bad, just see the dust shield has moved. Usually with a bad u-joint you will hear a clicking noise. Did you grab the driveshaft and see if there was any play in the joints?

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
RWC

A clicking is more likely to be a front u-joint (an axle shaft u-joint in particular).

You'll get a bad vibration under acceleration with a rear driveshaft u-joint, so I agree that this is the likely culprit. Put the parking brake on and the transmission or t-case in neutral (with the engine off so you don't accidentally drive over yourself) and crawl under there. Grab the driveshaft near the u-joint and try to rotate it and wiggle it back and forth. If there's any play AT ALL, then the u-joint is bad.

Replacing a u-joint is a good learning experience. Go to your local parts store and buy a new u-joint. If you're careful and don't bend the ears, you can replace it with just a hammer, a socket, and a pair of pliers. It's easier to do it with a good vice or a press. Search for a thread with instructions.

Assuming that your screen name reflects your ZJ, when you hit up your local parts store, make sure to specify that you've got a 'Niner. The 5.9L came with a larger rear u-joint than the 5.2L.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, boys. I did try to move the driveshaft, but it was in park and it didn't really move much. I'll try it in neutral tomorrow. I did do some homework on replacing the part and it definitely seems doable. Thanks so much! I'd like to find a definitive part number for the U-Joint for the 5.9.
Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Btt
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

U joints are a higher frequency vibration than a wheel vibration since your driveline is turning a lot faster than your wheels. That can help diagnose where it is coming from.
zacko-zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

And why do you need a part number? That's what the parts guy is for
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
RWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point9Limited View Post
Btt
Did you go wiggle the u-joint with the Jeep in neutral? Based on the fact that you just bumped it without a report, my guess is not. You need to help us to be able to help you.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

If in doubt change the u joints. They aren't that expensive
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Well, I did the neutral test and it looked real sloppy. Dropped the DS and the thing just fell apart. I think I found my problem. THanks again, boys.

Zacko-ZJ I want part numbers because they are not correct in any of the systems because the 5.9 has a heavy duty DS. I want the correct one. Thanks for your helpful comment.
Up-Country springs.
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

looks like a regular 1310 ujoint went in where the niner takes the larger (1330 iirc) u joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.