Bad Thermostat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad Thermostat

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
NoliftZJ
1996 ZJ 

Bad Thermostat

So I had a gasket leak at the thermostat so I might as well replace the thermostat while replacing the gasket. My thermostat was stuck open! I'm not sure what the repercussions could be, but I'm flushing the system and installing a new thermostat. Here's a pic:

tstatsmall.jpg  
NoliftZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I went with the Stant Superstat and it works great all year round. Nothing wrong with flushing the system. A stuck open thermostat will yield lukewarm heat through the vents and may cause overheating.

195 degree thermostat is OEM.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
NoliftZJ
1996 ZJ 

I replaced with a Murray Temperature Control Ultra - Ultrastat Thermostat 195 degree. Thanks for the input.
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

That's one of those "fail-safe" thermostats. It is stuck open but that brass colored clip is whats holding it open. Those are purposely made to hold the thermostat open in the event of a failure/overheat. Now that I think about it I have never removed one of those that was not in the fail-safe failure position, they seem to "fail" a lot. I would get a regular OEM stat to replace it.

With a good operating thermostat you should notice better fuel economy since the engine will run at operating temps. You should also have a better working and hotter heater.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
NoliftZJ
1996 ZJ 

Sounds good! Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.