bad pinion bearing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bad pinion bearing question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

bad pinion bearing question

I'm pretty confident my front pinion bearing is going. I can hear a whine from the front on de-acceleration between 50-40mph. Right now you have to have the window down to hear it, so my question is how long typically before it totally goes? (1000 miles? 2,3,4?)

Do these things get louder as it gets worse?

When its really bad will the whine be at all speeds vs just the 10mph stretch I have now?

Anyone pay a shop to replace the bearings? I'm curious how bad the bill is going to be.

EBT531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

I haven't tore into a D44A but plenty of regular D44s. The front bearing will come out after removing the seal. The back bearing is pressed on & requires removing the ring & pinion.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULate View Post
I haven't tore into a D44A but plenty of regular D44s. The front bearing will come out after removing the seal. The back bearing is pressed on & requires removing the ring & pinion.
I think he is talking about the front axle (D30) not the back.

To the OP, are you sure its not a wheel bearing?? You might want to check that before the teardown.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
I think he is talking about the front axle (D30) not the back.

To the OP, are you sure its not a wheel bearing?? You might want to check that before the teardown.
Possible, would a wheel bearing only be during de-acceleration?? I just replaced the rear wheel bearings yesterday and they were shot. Right side was bad enough I had to replace the axle shaft as well (worn/pitted)
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

when they are just starting to wear there won't be much noise. as they get worse of course the noise will get worse.
As far as a shop, if it is a pinion bearings most shops won't change just one. besides if you go to change 2 bearings the labor is the same if you changes carrier bearings as well.
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
when they are just starting to wear there won't be much noise. as they get worse of course the noise will get worse.
As far as a shop, if it is a pinion bearings most shops won't change just one. besides if you go to change 2 bearings the labor is the same if you changes carrier bearings as well.
So how many hours shop labor is average? Its been awhile but we used to pay $300 an axle to change gears (with the cost of gears) so I figure the labor is about the same right?
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you didn't have to swap gears(and the possibility of required reshiming ) I'd just do it myself. you'll just need to toqure the bolt to the correct amount.
shop prices vary. I've seen as low as $200 and as high as $450 for a bearing change.
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
If you didn't have to swap gears(and the possibility of required reshiming ) I'd just do it myself. you'll just need to toqure the bolt to the correct amount.
shop prices vary. I've seen as low as $200 and as high as $450 for a bearing change.
Thanks! I'll shop around

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.