Bad pcm? engine missing when on load. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad pcm? engine missing when on load.

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

Bad pcm? engine missing when on load.

This is a copy of glassplinter's thread because my jeep is doing the exact same.

The engine surge is like many describe here but different at the same time. It started out when I was driving up hills and tried to accelerate. Everything would go fine and then after about 30mph or so, the engine would start really surging quickly and the whole vehicle would jump, kinda like someone learning to drive standard and can't figure out what gear to go into. Never threw a CEL or anything and never impacted driveability. The problem has gotten progressively worse though and continues to surge when under load. Here's a list of things checked and changed within that time framethings ive changed) Fuel pump, fuel filter, tps, dist cap, roter, ignition pickup, and cleaned all big electrical connectors.

Anyways so i cleaned the harness on the pcm and my jeap ran great, everything worked amazing for about 15 minutes then it went back to surging. could this be a bad pcm or what the **** would cause this? How much would the stealership charge be solve and fix this?

<--Mods in profile
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

The trouble with the dealer is that you could pay $1200 or so and it not solve the problem. If you havent swapped the TPS, do so. It's cheap compared to other parts. Make sure the distr cap is tight...because they get loose. While you're at it go ahead and swap the cap and rotor.

No one wants to change the PCM, but it many, many cases......it's the cure. When they begin to go out, they do all sorts of stupid *****.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

You didnt read what i wrote at all did you? Does this sound pcm related?

<--Mods in profile
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I would say the PCM connection cleaning worked because the PCM was reset . I won't exclude it , but , it doesn't sound PCM relevant .

Don't be mad at OldFrog , you need to use quotations around what you quoted , then be more specific as to what "you've" done . All I see was you cleaning the PCM connection Did you change/check the TPS ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I just briefed over "glassplinter's" thread . I hate suggesting parts w/o being sure but I'm gonna say the coolant sensor that sends signal to the PCM .
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

I drove it today and there wasnt any sputtering so idk. i keep us updated.

<--Mods in profile
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Is it s surge or a miss? IF its bucking you might have some bad plug wires.
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

Its more of a miss. and it bucks.

<--Mods in profile
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Is the bucking when your kinda coasting along either in town or hwy ? If your on the gas , does it still do it , or does applying gas matter ?

I had a Dakota 5.2 with that kinda issue . Turned out to be a bushing in the distributor , said the guy I sold it to . I didn't have time to mess with it at that time .
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I did read it. What I'm wondering is....do you think the surging occurs near a shift point in the tranny? You mentioned going uphill....and at 30 it starts doing it. Tranny problems? Or PCM problems and it not being able to process the signal from the tranny properly? ( I am assuming the tranny fluid level is fine).

Resetting the PCM, IS what caused it to run good for a while, btw.

For the record, mine did the same thing once in a while when before I replaced the PCM. Not saying your issues are the same...but I wouldnt let $225 stop me from eliminating it again. It's simply to easy of a fix,....if indeed that's it. If not....you arent broke, as you would be, by using the dealer.

Unread 07-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

It does it at about 1800-2200 anything above that and it runs fine. Doesnt matter the gear. When i reset the pcm it ran fine for about 15min. Its not sending a code eather so its very hard to diagnose. When i hit bumps on the highway it sputters as well.

<--Mods in profile
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ok, it does it at low RPMs, right? It also does it when you jar it by hitting a bump.

The low RPM thing puzzles me a bit, except for the fact that the PCM needs constant clean power all through the range engine speed. I am supposing your alternator has been tested...? ( sorry for asking)

The hitting of bumps making it act stupid was one of my bad PCM's early signs of failure. But it could also mean there's a bad sensor connection somewhere too. Or maybe a bad ground. I know this is a difficult problem to track down, dude.

Even with my electronics background, it was still a nightmare for me, because the entire system was obviously engineered in a crack house by 17 non English speaking tweakers, in the dark, without a calculator... while 3 hookers grope them at the same time. I've often wanted to redesign mine fro the ground up, but I simply dont have the time. In absence of that, all we can do is to apply as much logic as possible to whatever "constants" it presents us with.

I blame the formation of the EPA for all of these troubles. Abolish the EPA and we can have simple, clean vehicles again, like a 64 Chevy....chuckle..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.