Bad Idle rough take off. Bad o2 Harness? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad Idle rough take off. Bad o2 Harness?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
SAZJ

Bad Idle rough take off. Bad o2 Harness?

Ok so I was having a problem with my o2 sensors. Its reading a hot o2 sensor even when the engine is turned off. leads to either an ECU problem or a Wiring harness. Anyways I have had this problem for about 4 months, and it was running fine. But I disconnected the battery and then it was no longer reading the code, until I did a full throttle acceleration at which point the o2 warning came back on. Also when i disco the battery and then reconnected it the jeep started idling really rough when in gear, and then any tap on the gas at all and it will jump really hard and then sputter. Any Ideas on what I should check out? its got 2 new o2 sensors so I know thats not the problem.

SAZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Check the wires coming from the harness to see if they're nicked. The ECU is not real-time, so it'll store your hot O2 sensor code. I would suspect you could see the issue pretty close to the sensor if the harness is messed up.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You need to explain the issue better. What does it mean that the sensor reads hot? Do you mean that the heating element in it is on when the engine is off? What codes were thrown? What engine do you have? Is it only for the upstream 2 sensors?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
SAZJ

The guy who pulled the code said it was sensor 1 bank 1, that it was "Hot" even when the engine was off, I assume he means that the sensor is in error. But he did say I should be extremely worried about it, so maybe he ment that it actually was temp. hot. Its a 5.2l I believe that its code on the machine was something like p2039 But he didn't let me look at it
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure he's refering to a cylinder. If Steve pops in again , he may be able to tell you which side is bank one and which cylinder is #1. Check the coil. I had a bank 1 #2. The coil was cracked so the cylinder would'nt fire. The computer then cut off fuel to the cylinder making the engine seem to run smooth again but lacking a bit of power. Anyway, the code came up with a lean #2 cylinder. This is a newer Winstar limited but same idea, Just a little more software. Like cutting off the fuel to the cylinder to stop the cat. from melting down.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac

Last edited by rxl; 02-26-2007 at 06:45 PM..
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
SAZJ

Its bank 1 Sensor 1 He is referring to the first o2 sensor not cylinder. But I do appreciate your input. All 8 Cylinders are firing correctly, its just idling a little rough like its running lean. The code was improper voltage o2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1
Unread 02-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Thatís the driverís side upstream sensor. I still donít get what is meant by hot. Temperature hot or that it has juice. I assume that it is temperature hot Ö but of course it will be for awhile so that really doe not make much sense either

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 02-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yep that means the sensor is NFG. Only use Mopar sensors. Most aftermarket ones do not work well (especially Bosch)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.