Bad exhaust manifold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad exhaust manifold?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Bad exhaust manifold?

What are some of the signs of having a cracked exhaust manifold on the I6?

When I changed exhaust/intake gasket a few weeks I was in a hurry and forgot to visually check it while i had a good view. I really wish I had.

I know it was crackeded when I bought the jeep, and I had a friend weld it.

Last time I used some of the intake cleaner some of the liquid came out at where i put the arrow in this pic. I put some exhaust sealer in the the opening there and it quieted down a bit, so im assuming it may just be cracked inside of the mount. (Not my manifold pictured btw)

Is it normal for the engine to be somewhat loud on the drivers side due to the exhaust being on that side?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

you shouldnt here anything if the manifold is good.

After I replaced my manifold all i could hear was the old rockers ticking away.

along with all the other noises of an old engine.

but you shouldnt hear any exhaust type noise except that the rear of the vehicle (for obvious reasons).
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

When it was welded the guy said it was really thin and melted pretty quick when he started to weld on it.

Guess its time to spend yet more money..

Anyone tried this one out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-01...74078500QQrdZ1

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

looks like the one i bought off ebay.
about the same price too.
i was sceptical but i gave it a shot.
and to my surprize... it fit great, bolted right in.
came with all the gaskets and bolts too.

its been about a year and its still solid. i say go for it. it may be 54 bucks... but its a damn fine 54 bucks in my oppinion. all the welds looked great and the mounting plate looked like it was laser cut.

like i said... damn good quality for the price.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.