Bad Connecting Rod Bearings? Solution? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad Connecting Rod Bearings? Solution?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Bad Connecting Rod Bearings? Solution?

So, I have a rattle in the bottom of my engine which I'm guessing is a worn-out connecting rod bearing. It rattles at idle, definitely coming from the oil pan.

Is it worth it to replace the rod bearings (I would do all of them while I was in there)? Or will it run for a while as it is?

Also, is there anything special I need to know or anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I did the rear main seal not too long ago, so that should be good.

I'm thinking the rod bearings should be pretty straightforward to replace, am I right?

Thanks,
CI888

Unread 04-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You are talking about the wrist pin bearings in the piston, or are you talking about where the rod connects to the crank shaft.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Where the rod connects to the crankshaft, sorry for the lack of clarity.
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Bump, I gotta know if I should order these parts or not, and if there's anything else I should order while I'm at it! An extra bearing maybe, in case I screw up one?

EDIT: Too late, I jumped the gun and ordered a set. Write-up to come!

Last edited by CrazyIvan888; 04-26-2010 at 11:00 AM..
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
ajmorell

FWIW those are the referred to as main bearings. The rod bearings are the bearings where the connecting rod attaches to the piston at the wrist pin.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Main bearings are where the crank shaft bolts to the block. What he ordered ARE rod bearings.

Probably a good idea to change them, but Is it a loud 'rattle'(knock) or pretty quiet?

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

It's a noticeable rattling, kind of like "CLICKatikaCLICKatikaCLICKatika.." Audible from inside the vehicle if the radio's off. From the outside, it can be heard at least up to 30 feet away. If I slide underneath the vehicle, it sounds like it's coming from inside the oil pan.

Most noticeable at idle, the sound gets drowned out when I rev up the engine. Not noticeable at all when I'm driving because the RPMs are usually in the 1500-2000 range.
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
FWIW those are the referred to as main bearings. The rod bearings are the bearings where the connecting rod attaches to the piston at the wrist pin.
Not true. These engines have no bearing at the wrist pin. Most stock engines use press fit pistons in which the wrist pin is pressed into the rod. There is no retainer, or bushing.

Some engines use bushings in the connecting rod and retainers to hold the wrist pin into the piston. This is known as a "full floating" setup. There no "bearing" in either setup.

Connecting rod bearings are the steel shims placed between the connecting rod and the crank journals.

Main bearings are similar to the rod bearings, but have oil ports and passages cut into them and are located on the main journals of the crankshaft.

Replacing the rod bearings is pretty straight forward. Generally you can replace the bearings with standard size replacements, that is if there are no spun bearings or severe enough wear that the crank journal is actually coming in contact with the rod.
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Ok, thanks! Will a spun bearing be obvious upon inspection, or is there a special way to tell?
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

A bad bearing will be obvious. Check for divots, shiny or discolored spots. A good bearing should be smooth, one color

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

A spun bearing is very obvious. I doubt one has gotten that bad as you would probably hear it. Last time I dealt with a spun bearing was a 86 Olds. I literally heard it knocking from a block away from my shop.

In all honesty, I wouldn't try and change the bearings on your Jeep. Yank the motor and rebuild it or swap in one with lower miles. You've gotten your moneys worth at 245,000, odds are it isn't long for this world.
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

247,000 now. Gotta update my info.

I can't afford a new motor or a rebuild right now, and to tell the truth I'm actually looking forward to tearing into this thing again. For $30 or so, I see it as a chance to learn a little more about my motor and get some more experience under my belt. Shoot, it's less than most of my friends spend at a bar in one evening!

And if I hopelessly screw it up somehow, the Jeep can sit indefinitely until I can afford a motor or a rebuild (or a new Jeep). I walk to work, so pretty much all my driving is for pleasure purposes.
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post
Main bearings are where the crank shaft bolts to the block. What he ordered ARE rod bearings.

Probably a good idea to change them, but Is it a loud 'rattle'(knock) or pretty quiet?
My bad guys...I knew that, not sure what the heck I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
Not true. These engines have no bearing at the wrist pin. Most stock engines use press fit pistons in which the wrist pin is pressed into the rod. There is no retainer, or bushing.

Some engines use bushings in the connecting rod and retainers to hold the wrist pin into the piston. This is known as a "full floating" setup. There no "bearing" in either setup.

Connecting rod bearings are the steel shims placed between the connecting rod and the crank journals.

Main bearings are similar to the rod bearings, but have oil ports and passages cut into them and are located on the main journals of the crankshaft.

Replacing the rod bearings is pretty straight forward. Generally you can replace the bearings with standard size replacements, that is if there are no spun bearings or severe enough wear that the crank journal is actually coming in contact with the rod.
Yeah, oops
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
bigbill888
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
It's a noticeable rattling, kind of like "CLICKatikaCLICKatikaCLICKatika.." Audible from inside the vehicle if the radio's off. From the outside, it can be heard at least up to 30 feet away. If I slide underneath the vehicle, it sounds like it's coming from inside the oil pan.

Most noticeable at idle, the sound gets drowned out when I rev up the engine. Not noticeable at all when I'm driving because the RPMs are usually in the 1500-2000 range.
i have the same thing going on here. Will watch for your write up.

thanks
Bill
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

hopefully your crank and rods are ok... at that mileage and worn bearings like your describing dont be surprised if your crank is ****ed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.