bad battery,alternator,starter..nope there good - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bad battery,alternator,starter..nope there good

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
chrisbean
1998 ZJ 

bad battery,alternator,starter..nope there good

My 98 Grand is getting next to impossible to start. I've had the battery check at autozone and advanced and oriely. One says its bad..next palce says its good...same day.And the same with my started and alt.One place the battery is bad. another batt is good, its the starter. And it changes anytime I have anything checked.here the last 3 days I HAVE to get a jumpstart to get it running.BUT even then the battery shows good ( by my friends multimeter).Anyone have any ideas?Its getting expensive to keep it running all the time!!

chrisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What kind of battery? What is voltage reading at battery with jeep off? What is voltage reading with at battery with jeep running? You could have a parasitic drain somewhere.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

First of all, you can NOT diagnose a battery by messure voltage, that doesnt say **** about how much amps it can hold, you Will have to have a load test done to see if its good.

You can messure the voltage on your battery while engine running to see if alternator works, should read 13.5-14.4V if it fine.

If battery and alternator check out good, its your starter, but you say you can jump it and it starts with no problem., then its not the starter.

So i hold my bet on alt or battery, Get it running and check if alternator works, if so , its def your battery.....

Good luck!

Sent from my Iphone4
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
chrisbean
1998 ZJ 

Well I put in a new battery after autozone said mine was shot....turn the key..click click click. nothing had raido lights but wouldnt start.then the guy tested the old battery on the counter and said it was fine now..he even looked confused.THe alt tests good one time..5 mins later same place they test it and its bad...then they load test the battery again and say it bad...all this was at autozone over the course of 20 mins. and ive had the same results at advanced and oriely...but hte guy there said buy a new batt starter and alt "just to eleminate those as a problem" sure...if I had 600 bucks!
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
chrisbean
1998 ZJ 

Just to update...It WAS the starter...it would intermittently work but never showed any problem when I pulled it to test it?? Crazy dang jeep!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.