Bad Alternator? HELP PLEASE!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad Alternator? HELP PLEASE!!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Bad Alternator? HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey guys,

So I left my lights on all day. Oops! Obviously, jeep ain't starting of its own free will. SO, use my gf's 98 TJ to jump it. Use my brand new jumper cables, and try to start 'er up. No dice. It cranks and gives me all the dash lights like it does when you first turn the key to start it, and eventually it gives me the mileage display along with airbag and seatbelt lights (the rest die out) but it still doesn't turn over and fire. So we leave it for another 10 minutes. Come back ~20 minutes from when we first put the jumper cables on, and it does the same thing. Now, I try giving it some gas when I'm cranking it, and it turns over and starts. When I let off the gas, though, the RPMs fall and it dies. I am able to drive it (drove it to school where I will formally diagnose and repair it), but it dies every time I let the RPMs fall. Scary trip, I will say that! I think it's a bad alternator, but I really don't know. Just an educated guess, really.

Sorry for the book! Any and all help is appreciated!
-Evan

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

What is the battery gauge doing during all of this?
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Looks to be going where it should, eg. up to about 14, but I never really stopped to look at it until it was running, unfortunately
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Hmm.. Looks like others have had this problem too. Might not be the alternator after all. Could be a dead battery. So I'll probably just test both the battery and alternator tomorrow and see what happens. Hope its the battery and not the alternator. The battery that's in it right now is Walmart-status, so I'll replace that regardless, just a matter of sooner rather than later.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Pat97tj

Make sure it's not just a bad conection or an old cracked wire. I had a similar problem, replaced everything and all it was was a bad wire.
Pat97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat97tj View Post
Make sure it's not just a bad conection or an old cracked wire. I had a similar problem, replaced everything and all it was was a bad wire.
Copy that! I'll run through it all when I get a look at 'er tomorrow at school. Thanks for the advice!
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

This is getting weird. I got to school this morning, put the key in the ignition, and just for ghits and shiggles, tried to start it. Lo and behold, she fired right up. So, since it was close to zero here last night and she had been sitting outside, I turned the defrost on to clear the frost off my windows and took it for a spin around the parking lot. It drove fine for about a minute, then the RPMs dropped and I had to floor it to keep it from dying again. After that, though, it seemed to do fairly well. I pulled it in by our shops and am going to run some electrical tests after lunch. I'll keep this thread updated with what I find I guess...

-Evan
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

This is normal behavior. The computer was just relearning. Starting it up and shutting it off a few times seems to speed the process up.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Yup. If you're battery is really really dead, the Jeep will have trouble staying alive. Get the battery good and charged (or replaced) and after a couple start/stop cycles of the computer relearning, you should be set. A load test will tell you if the alternator really is suspect. I was experiencing similar problems when my alternator couldn't keep the (brand new) battery charged. After testing it, I replaced the alternator, and everything is good.

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
This is normal behavior. The computer was just relearning. Starting it up and shutting it off a few times seems to speed the process up.
But I haven't done anything to it yet... it just sat overnight. So what changed? I can see that happening if I replaced the battery, but I didn't do anything to it between last night and now. Could the battery have fully charged between now and then? By just running it maybe? Or magic!
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
But I haven't done anything to it yet... it just sat overnight. So what changed? I can see that happening if I replaced the battery, but I didn't do anything to it between last night and now. Could the battery have fully charged between now and then? By just running it maybe? Or magic!
Yes you did do something. You went through enough start-stop cycles for the computer to relearn. You should be fine now.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Yes you did do something. You went through enough start-stop cycles for the computer to relearn. You should be fine now.
ooooooohhh... That makes sense! I'll give it a try.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Sure 'nuff! Both the battery and the alternator passed the tests, so I guess it was the computer just "relearning". Interestingly, though, my alternator was charging a little low. I think these are supposed to be at around 14.6 and mine is at 13.8. So ill probably end up replacing that sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice guys! You nailed it Technohead!
-Evan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.