Bad alternator causing Transmission code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad alternator causing Transmission code?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Bad alternator causing Transmission code?

Hey guys...would having a bad alternator and battery cause a transmission solenoid code?
I was told by my mechanic that my alternator is shot, and my battery is really low...this is causing the check engine light to come on resulting in a code for the transmission solenoid. Does this make sense to all you experts?
BTW...on my way home...the battery gauge dropped to 0, and my transmission wont shift out of 1st gear.
Thanks for the help guys!

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

low system voltage can do all kinds of strange things
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
98ZJOKC

Yes, if the electrical system is not supplying enough voltage, solenoids and relays won't operate properly. Honk your horn. If the electrical system is too weak to make the horn sound normal (ie loud as heck), then it can be too weak to open solenoids.
BTW, I think all Jeep and Dodge 5.9L's came with the 150 amp alternator as original equipment. I think you'll want to spend the little extra $ over the 90 amp and 136 amp prices when you replace yours.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJOKC View Post
Yes, if the electrical system is not supplying enough voltage, solenoids and relays won't operate properly. Honk your horn. If the electrical system is too weak to make the horn sound normal (ie loud as heck), then it can be too weak to open solenoids.
BTW, I think all Jeep and Dodge 5.9L's came with the 150 amp alternator as original equipment. I think you'll want to spend the little extra $ over the 90 amp and 136 amp prices when you replace yours.
Thank you for the info...I really appreciate it.
I couldnt find a 150 Amp alternator anywhere...so opted for the 136.
Hopefully the e-fan wont have any issues. I also heard that the 150 amp alternator was because of the Infinity amp...which I now bypass do to aftermarket radio.
Guess we'll see...thanks again!
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Update

Hey guys...just replaced my battery and my alternator...check engine light is still on, and the battery gauge just dropped to 0 and the check gauges light came on after 2 minutes of driving. Battery gauge never got to center. Transmission still didnt shift out of 1st.
What the heck is going on????
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
98ZJOKC

Raise the hood and find the compartment that holds your relays (on mine, it's passengers side, towards the front of the vehicle next to the battery). Find the one for the Transmission (TCU) and pull it out. Then start in L1 and when you hit about 20 to 25mph shift up to Drive. If your transmission shifts to 3rd, then at least you know it's only an electrical problem and has nothing to do with the transmission's mechanics.

Are there 5V regulators in these vehicles? Anyone know? That may be from the 80's and before.
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Raise the hood and find the compartment that holds your relays (on mine, it's passengers side, towards the front of the vehicle next to the battery). Find the one for the Transmission (TCU) and pull it out. Then start in L1 and when you hit about 20 to 25mph shift up to Drive. If your transmission shifts to 3rd, then at least you know it's only an electrical problem and has nothing to do with the transmission's mechanics.

Are there 5V regulators in these vehicles? Anyone know? That may be from the 80's and before.
Thanks...I'll give that a try...but my voltage is still really low at start, and then drops to 0 and check gauges light comes on. Check engine light is on as well.
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Well...I just reconnected everything from the alternator and the battery, and used die-electric grease on the battery terminals. Checked all the grounds, and re-tightened them. Cleaned the fuse box cables, and used die-electric grease on those as well...started her up, and the voltage is still low, and the check engine light is on.
I am going to take it back to my mechanic tomorrow morning, as I have NO idea what the heck is going on. I am totally stumped.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

I know on some older chrysler vehicles that the voltage regulation is controlled by the pcm and can go bad causing a no charge situation. Is it the same for odb2 jeeps?
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
I know on some older chrysler vehicles that the voltage regulation is controlled by the pcm and can go bad causing a no charge situation. Is it the same for odb2 jeeps?
I have been reading through some threads, and found this as well. However...here is the situation...with my old battery and alternator...I never had this issue or a CEL on. I got my new cat and muffler installed, and it wouldnt start. My mechanic said it was a a bad wire harness from the new O2 sensor that was the cause (blowing a 20A fuse). Then it had a check engine light on from a code for the transmission solenoid. He said it was because of a bad alternator and battery. I just replaced both tonight...and still have the CEL on, and the voltage is low...then drops to 0 and the check gauges light comes on. So...I dont think its the PCM...because this just started happening after my new cat and muffler was put on.
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
98ZJOKC

Just a shot in the dark - battery temp sensor gone bad/grounded out? This causing the PCM to cut voltage from the alternator to the battery in order to save the battery from overcharging?
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Have you pulled the codes to see what comes up?
Check for output signal to the field term on the alternator and see what voltage you are getting.
I think the field is turned on by the pcm by grounding it. If you have access to dvm you can check regulation by placing one prob on ve+ on the other on the field control on the back of the alt. to see if it is reg properly
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmilitary View Post
Have you pulled the codes to see what comes up?
Check for output signal to the field term on the alternator and see what voltage you are getting.
I think the field is turned on by the pcm by grounding it. If you have access to dvm you can check regulation by placing one prob on ve+ on the other on the field control on the back of the alt. to see if it is reg properly
The code that popped up was for a transmission shift solenoid, or something along those lines. Mechanic said it was because of a bad alternator and low voltage. Obviously that not the case!
Its back at the shop...guess we'll see what he says. BTW..the 9er never died...but it was a short 15 minute trip...never shifted out of 1st gear either.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Just a shot in the dark - battery temp sensor gone bad/grounded out? This causing the PCM to cut voltage from the alternator to the battery in order to save the battery from overcharging?
Thanks...I'll have him check this out.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
The code that popped up was for a transmission shift solenoid, or something along those lines. Mechanic said it was because of a bad alternator and low voltage. Obviously that not the case!
Its back at the shop...guess we'll see what he says. BTW..the 9er never died...but it was a short 15 minute trip...never shifted out of 1st gear either.
Did you try charging the battery up first to see if the truck shifts out of first gear?
Solenoids and electronics act funny when the voltage is to low.
I agree with the other poster here; check the battery sensor.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.