Bad alternator or battery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad alternator or battery?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
XJ96PA2
2001 WJ 

Bad alternator or battery?

Drove my Jeep to and from work on Friday, drove fine. I went out Saturday morning and my battery was dead. Jumped it, and it started right up. Let it run for a little and then started giving it little revs to get the alt to charge the battery faster. I then had to stay on the gas, because I could tell if I let off it would shut off. When it did shut off, it wouldn't start again because the battery was dead. I figured the alternator was bad and it was only running off what little charge the battery had. I went out tonight and was going to take the alternator off a while but I figured I better check to make sure that's what it was before buying one. I jumped it but it didn't want to stay running at first, even while the jumper cables were still hooked up. I let it charge a little and then it started. I turned all all the lights on, wipers, etc. The battery gauge was right on 14. It ran for a little and then when I gave it some gas it shut off again, and the battery was dead. Now I'm not sure if the alternator isn't charging the battery or if the battery is just refusing to take much of a charge. I've had alternators go bad before, while driving, and know the symptoms, and my Jeep had none. Just a dead batt. one morning. What does it seem like it is? What is a sure fire way to check? Thanks.

Unread 07-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
03GCherokee

Sure fire way is to test the battery.
It's possible that the battery has a bad cell sucking the juice from the alternator while running.
Remember alternators charge A/C current. Batteries supply DC voltage. Running a car with a bad battery can fry a module.
Pull out the battery and have a parts store charge and test it.
03GCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A couple things come to mind for me. Is the regulator part of the alternator, or located other than in the ecu, or part of the ecu. Testing might be difficult unless you can test it under a load. If the alternator is an older one, certainly it is not doing it any favors running an alternator on a dead battery, that heats up and stresses alternators pretty quickly, they are naot made to charge batterys, just maintain voltage, which they do very well of course when the system is working correctly.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You really need a volt meter to see whats going on.
You want 12 volts or more in battery.(not running) and when it is cranking it shouldn't drop under 9 volts at all.
but I have to ask does your vehicle have its factory battery?? if so... then I think you have your answer.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
XJ96PA2
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
You really need a volt meter to see whats going on.
You want 12 volts or more in battery.(not running) and when it is cranking it shouldn't drop under 9 volts at all.
but I have to ask does your vehicle have its factory battery?? if so... then I think you have your answer.
Not sure if the battery is original, it says "Federated Auto Parts" Can't see the markings for the date or part no. or anything so regardless I'm sure it's pretty old. I just bought the Jeep a month or two ago.

I'm betting on a bad battery since the gage reads 14. It had no symtoms of a bad alternator while driving. In my last Jeep, and my car, when the alternator went bad the lights slowly got dimmer and the turn signals and windshield wipers were slow. Like I said it drove fine on Friday but wouldn't start on Saturday. Sometime this week I'll pull the battery and take it to autozone to have them charge it and test it, to be 100% sure. Not my DD so it's not an emergency. Thanks for the responses. I'll post my findings for future reference in case someone has the same questions.
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Most parts stores will do that, load test the battery, not just check voltage.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.