Bad 46RH possible swap for AW4?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad 46RH possible swap for AW4??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
SStephensJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad 46RH possible swap for AW4??

Trying to do a little research for a friend with a good running 94 ZJ with a bad 46RH transmission and a spare AW4 from a 95 cherokee sport. Will the AW4 work in place of the 46RH or will there be too many problems there?

SStephensJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It will not bolt up to a V8 , or does he have a 4.0 with a 42RE ? That could be done AFIK
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
SStephensJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no it's the AW4 for sure. Just found there are too many things that would have to be modified(bell housing, t cases, shafts different amount of splines) and that doesn't even start with the electronics. Just gonna tell him rebuild or find another 46RH. Are there any other transmissions that would work with the Grand Cherokee 5.2
SStephensJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

unfortunately , no , it's 5.2 Jeep specific due to the starter location . Also , the 46RH was only used between 93-95
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
h0tr0d18
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
unfortunately , no , it's 5.2 Jeep specific due to the starter location . Also , the 46RH was only used between 93-95
What can you swap in there to get rid of the Auto? I have a buddy with a 95 5.2 and auto is toast, seems to come and go, seems to lose everything when it warms up a bit and then wham it will start going again and then nothing again. I was looking for an auto for him but they seem a little hard to find and cost more than they are worth. Looking to swap it out with a manual but just need to know what to look for in a tranny / t-case combo and from what vehicles if possible. Anyone have a link to a thread on this??

Thanks all
h0tr0d18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Ratmonkey's build thread has all the juicy on that manual swap . It is not a bolt on , if it was easy , there would be alot more than 20 or so ever done of the 1.5 million produced .

Your bud needs a trans from a 93-95 ZJ only . Look in the kijiji , there a few real cheap one's kickin in there for the Edmonton area

Hotrod , your either from NF or you know alot of Newfie's for sure
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStephensJeep View Post
Trying to do a little research for a friend with a good running 94 ZJ with a bad 46RH transmission and a spare AW4 from a 95 cherokee sport. Will the AW4 work in place of the 46RH or will there be too many problems there?
The 46RH will have the LA-block bellhousing pattern (behind the 318 or 360ci MOPAR,) while the AW4 from a Jeep has the AMC pattern. You'll need an adapter plate - to my knowledge, there was no such thing as an LA-patterned AW4 (just AMC and Toyota.)

Besides, the control electronics are also different - you'd either have to adapt the AW4 controller to the ChryCo ECU (doable, I'm sure) or put in a standalone shift controller and turn it into a clutchless manual.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Ratmonkey's build thread has all the juicy on that manual swap . It is not a bolt on , if it was easy , there would be alot more than 20 or so ever done of the 1.5 million produced .

Your bud needs a trans from a 93-95 ZJ only . Look in the kijiji , there a few real cheap one's kickin in there for the Edmonton area

I've only ever managed to find 5 of us online. I think one has been in the build stage for 3 years now, one is a 5.9 with a modified bell housing to run wrong side (jeep) starter, one is a chevy swap, one us a supercharged 318, And me.
Ap is the only manual mopar motor wj I've ever seen. Glad we figured out that the powertech motors use the same mopar small block bell pattern that's been in use since the la motor series.

If you could figure out the torque converter you could swap in a 545rfe to a zj...there would be some wiring to do with the tcm though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I've only ever managed to find 5 of us online. I think one has been in the build stage for 3 years now, one is a 5.9 with a modified bell housing to run wrong side (jeep) starter, one is a chevy swap, one us a supercharged 318, And me.
Ap is the only manual mopar motor wj I've ever seen. Glad we figured out that the powertech motors use the same mopar small block bell pattern that's been in use since the la motor series.

If you could figure out the torque converter you could swap in a 545rfe to a zj...there would be some wiring to do with the tcm though.
May be easier to grab a 47RE from a LA488/505-powered Ram truck - same bellhousing pattern, and electronic control of the slushbox should be similar.

And it nets you an upgrade in transmission strength, while you're about it.
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

the 46RH was one of the best trannys ever put in grand cherokees

just have it rebuilt
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
May be easier to grab a 47RE from a LA488/505-powered Ram truck - same bellhousing pattern, and electronic control of the slushbox should be similar.

And it nets you an upgrade in transmission strength, while you're about it.
There would be firewall and trans tunnel mods needed. Im pretty sure the output is 29spl as well. That trans is huge and hard to come by as salvage.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I've seen 4 , but said 20 figuring it would be a safe estimate , maybe not .

Seen that one with the bell-housing modded , I like yours better .

That chevy swap sounds interesting , I'm considering that for my MJ
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
h0tr0d18
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah I doubt the Jeep is worth the time in modifying to fit the AW4. I found a tranny for $700 in Edmonton and there's a couple up here in Ft Mac but they charge wrecker prices but work as a pick a part LOL. I'd rather drive to Edmonton and pick it up for him.

I do know alot of Newfies up here yes,have a bunch working for me but no I am all Albertan lol.

Wish they were all as easy to mod as my 87 YJ
h0tr0d18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
adam_121

my new project
swap 46RH to AW4
please let me know any suggestions on this topic
I ask you to an electrical diagram
?
swap3.jpg  
adam_121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
adam_121

I want to be proud of, I was able to do a swap in place 46rh founded AW4.
Everything works great, I recommend the swap
adam_121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.