JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Bad 46RH possible swap for AW4?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/bad-46rh-possible-swap-aw4-1134824/)

SStephensJeep 11-30-2010 07:34 AM

Bad 46RH possible swap for AW4??

Trying to do a little research for a friend with a good running 94 ZJ with a bad 46RH transmission and a spare AW4 from a 95 cherokee sport. Will the AW4 work in place of the 46RH or will there be too many problems there?

newfieZJ 11-30-2010 08:01 AM

It will not bolt up to a V8 , or does he have a 4.0 with a 42RE ? That could be done AFIK

SStephensJeep 11-30-2010 08:14 AM

no it's the AW4 for sure. Just found there are too many things that would have to be modified(bell housing, t cases, shafts different amount of splines) and that doesn't even start with the electronics. Just gonna tell him rebuild or find another 46RH. Are there any other transmissions that would work with the Grand Cherokee 5.2

newfieZJ 11-30-2010 08:19 AM

unfortunately , no , it's 5.2 Jeep specific due to the starter location . Also , the 46RH was only used between 93-95

h0tr0d18 01-24-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 10535479)
unfortunately , no , it's 5.2 Jeep specific due to the starter location . Also , the 46RH was only used between 93-95

What can you swap in there to get rid of the Auto? I have a buddy with a 95 5.2 and auto is toast, seems to come and go, seems to lose everything when it warms up a bit and then wham it will start going again and then nothing again. I was looking for an auto for him but they seem a little hard to find and cost more than they are worth. Looking to swap it out with a manual but just need to know what to look for in a tranny / t-case combo and from what vehicles if possible. Anyone have a link to a thread on this??

Thanks all

newfieZJ 01-24-2011 05:28 PM

Ratmonkey's build thread has all the juicy on that manual swap . It is not a bolt on , if it was easy , there would be alot more than 20 or so ever done of the 1.5 million produced .

Your bud needs a trans from a 93-95 ZJ only . Look in the kijiji , there a few real cheap one's kickin in there for the Edmonton area

Hotrod , your either from NF or you know alot of Newfie's for sure :rofl:

5-90 01-24-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStephensJeep (Post 10535281)
Trying to do a little research for a friend with a good running 94 ZJ with a bad 46RH transmission and a spare AW4 from a 95 cherokee sport. Will the AW4 work in place of the 46RH or will there be too many problems there?

The 46RH will have the LA-block bellhousing pattern (behind the 318 or 360ci MOPAR,) while the AW4 from a Jeep has the AMC pattern. You'll need an adapter plate - to my knowledge, there was no such thing as an LA-patterned AW4 (just AMC and Toyota.)

Besides, the control electronics are also different - you'd either have to adapt the AW4 controller to the ChryCo ECU (doable, I'm sure) or put in a standalone shift controller and turn it into a clutchless manual.

ratmonkey 01-24-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 10846994)
Ratmonkey's build thread has all the juicy on that manual swap . It is not a bolt on , if it was easy , there would be alot more than 20 or so ever done of the 1.5 million produced .

Your bud needs a trans from a 93-95 ZJ only . Look in the kijiji , there a few real cheap one's kickin in there for the Edmonton area

I've only ever managed to find 5 of us online. I think one has been in the build stage for 3 years now, one is a 5.9 with a modified bell housing to run wrong side (jeep) starter, one is a chevy swap, one us a supercharged 318, And me.
Ap is the only manual mopar motor wj I've ever seen. Glad we figured out that the powertech motors use the same mopar small block bell pattern that's been in use since the la motor series.

If you could figure out the torque converter you could swap in a 545rfe to a zj...there would be some wiring to do with the tcm though. :)

5-90 01-25-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 10849170)
I've only ever managed to find 5 of us online. I think one has been in the build stage for 3 years now, one is a 5.9 with a modified bell housing to run wrong side (jeep) starter, one is a chevy swap, one us a supercharged 318, And me.
Ap is the only manual mopar motor wj I've ever seen. Glad we figured out that the powertech motors use the same mopar small block bell pattern that's been in use since the la motor series.

If you could figure out the torque converter you could swap in a 545rfe to a zj...there would be some wiring to do with the tcm though. :)

May be easier to grab a 47RE from a LA488/505-powered Ram truck - same bellhousing pattern, and electronic control of the slushbox should be similar.

And it nets you an upgrade in transmission strength, while you're about it.

CLNinja 01-25-2011 01:26 AM

the 46RH was one of the best trannys ever put in grand cherokees

just have it rebuilt

ratmonkey 01-25-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5-90 (Post 10849580)
May be easier to grab a 47RE from a LA488/505-powered Ram truck - same bellhousing pattern, and electronic control of the slushbox should be similar.

And it nets you an upgrade in transmission strength, while you're about it.

There would be firewall and trans tunnel mods needed. Im pretty sure the output is 29spl as well. That trans is huge and hard to come by as salvage.

newfieZJ 01-25-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 10849170)

I've seen 4 , but said 20 figuring it would be a safe estimate , maybe not .

Seen that one with the bell-housing modded , I like yours better . :thumbsup:

That chevy swap sounds interesting , I'm considering that for my MJ

h0tr0d18 01-25-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 10846994)

Yeah I doubt the Jeep is worth the time in modifying to fit the AW4. I found a tranny for $700 in Edmonton and there's a couple up here in Ft Mac but they charge wrecker prices but work as a pick a part LOL. I'd rather drive to Edmonton and pick it up for him.

I do know alot of Newfies up here yes,have a bunch working for me but no I am all Albertan lol.

Wish they were all as easy to mod as my 87 YJ :2thumbsup:

adam_121 09-19-2013 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my new project
swap 46RH to AW4
please let me know any suggestions on this topic
I ask you to an electrical diagram
?

adam_121 11-15-2013 01:07 PM

I want to be proud of, I was able to do a swap in place 46rh founded AW4.
Everything works great, I recommend the swap

The time now is 01:57 PM.