backspacing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > backspacing question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
sk8rgrl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

backspacing question

I have a 97 ZJ with 5" lift on 33x12.5 with 15" rock crawler rims. I just got some free 2015 jk 17" rims. I wanted to put them on with adapters and some 35x12.5 tires that I already have sitting around. I measured the backspacing on these rims and they are whopping 6"!!! My fenders are trimmed front and back but are these rims gonna make it too tight in the front for rubbing stuff? Am I better off with 35's on the 15" rims? I don't wanna have super thick adapters. That seems sketchy to me. are any of you running 17" JK rims? I'd love to see pics or hear opinions on this.

sk8rgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
DrgnRebrn
1998 ZJ 

What size are your adapters?
DrgnRebrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
sk8rgrl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrgnRebrn View Post
What size are your adapters?
I haven't bought them yet but they are 1.25" so it would end up being 4.75" backspacing. Is that still too much? I could get wider spacers but is that a bad idea?
Unread 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

JK rims are 6.25" backspace. So 1.25" adapters only get you to 5".

The final backspace is the thing that matters, so bigger spacers to run deep backspace wheels is no worse (to the wheel bearings, balljoints, etc) than running small spacers on low backspace wheels or no spacers on properly backspaced rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Spike6901

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rgrl View Post
I have a 97 ZJ with 5" lift on 33x12.5 with 15" rock crawler rims. I just got some free 2015 jk 17" rims. I wanted to put them on with adapters and some 35x12.5 tires that I already have sitting around. I measured the backspacing on these rims and they are whopping 6"!!! My fenders are trimmed front and back but are these rims gonna make it too tight in the front for rubbing stuff? Am I better off with 35's on the 15" rims? I don't wanna have super thick adapters. That seems sketchy to me. are any of you running 17" JK rims? I'd love to see pics or hear opinions on this.
Isn't the ZJ bolt pattern a 5x4.5 and the JK a 5x5?

The new wheels won't bolt on anyway unless you have already swapped parts or the adapters are accounting for this?
Unread 07-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post

Isn't the ZJ bolt pattern a 5x4.5 and the JK a 5x5?

The new wheels won't bolt on anyway unless you have already swapped parts or the adapters are accounting for this?
Wheel adaptors change the lug pattern.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Thats like the point of adapters, to adapt the lug pattern. Otherwise they'd just be spacers.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
sk8rgrl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
JK rims are 6.25" backspace. So 1.25" adapters only get you to 5".

The final backspace is the thing that matters, so bigger spacers to run deep backspace wheels is no worse (to the wheel bearings, balljoints, etc) than running small spacers on low backspace wheels or no spacers on properly backspaced rims.
This is exactly the info I was looking for thank you. I was worried about thick adapters breaking or breaking something else. The reason I was wanting bigger rims is to eliminate some sidewall exposure. I 4x4 where there is a lot of big pointy rocks and I figured less sidewall showing would mean less chance of a tear or puncture. Maybe I'm crazy but it made sense to me I haven't decided for sure yet. I might just keep the 15" rims and get 35's instead of - adapters, 17" rims on 35's.

"Isn't the ZJ bolt pattern a 5x4.5 and the JK a 5x5? The new wheels won't bolt on anyway unless you have already swapped parts or the adapters are accounting for this?"

I know the lug pattern is different. Hence why I stated in my OP that I was going to use the adapters. They come in different widths.
Unread 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Check the prices, it may be cheaper to stay at 15", but the price of 17" tires is coming down all the time (because everything ships with them now).

17" also future proofs you for bigger brakes, better steering etc if you find that the 35's are a bit much for stock components.

You're not wrong that less sidewall leaves less exposed, but it also reduces the surface area for the tire to flex when aired down requiring you to stay at higher pressure or risk losing the bead. You also want to consider bashing the rim itself on the rocks instead of the rubber.

Overall for 35's there will still be enough meat left on a 17" wheel to not worry.

Quote:
Unread 07-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
sk8rgrl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Check the prices, it may be cheaper to stay at 15", but the price of 17" tires is coming down all the time (because everything ships with them now).

17" also future proofs you for bigger brakes, better steering etc if you find that the 35's are a bit much for stock components.

You're not wrong that less sidewall leaves less exposed, but it also reduces the surface area for the tire to flex when aired down requiring you to stay at higher pressure or risk losing the bead. You also want to consider bashing the rim itself on the rocks instead of the rubber.

Overall for 35's there will still be enough meat left on a 17" wheel to not worry.
Thanks alot for the input. I really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.