backfire now no start need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > backfire now no start need help

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
V8jeepinVA
too much to list

1998 ZJ 

backfire now no start need help

Bad week for me first my Cummins in the shop for tranny issues my ram blew a fuel line at the pump and now this. I was cruisin around 50-55mph let off the throttle for a turn and BANG it back fired out the exhaust and cut off now it turns over might studder to start but don't

V8jeepinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

In some of my old cars, you culd do that by shutting the ignition of flood the carb and then turn the ignition back on...big ol backfire.....I would look at the pick up under the distributer cap....might also want to check the timing chain..could have skipped a tooth...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

running vey rich because of O2's problems or something and blew up your cat. conv. ?

Crawl under your ride maybe and bang on the cat. conv. and see if you hear rattling ?

Have you checked for codes yet ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
V8jeepinVA
too much to list

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
running vey rich because of O2's problems or something and blew up your cat. conv. ?

Crawl under your ride maybe and bang on the cat. conv. and see if you hear rattling ?

Have you checked for codes yet ?
Have no cat and I am running 100octane
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
V8jeepinVA
too much to list

1998 ZJ 

OK found the issue the rotor some how exploded not sure if I'm going to have future issues or just defective but replaced and fired right up replaced the cap as well had some melted plastic from the button tossed all over it. I may have made a mistake of putting a 125hp wet shot on it but that was not in use at time of failure but because you can't retard the timing unless you have a programmer which is recommended when using nitrous may some how had an effect but I made a few test hits after and it does excellent. Did launch in 4lo which is how I race it at the local bean field race's ( sand drag ) and hit the rev limiter which cuts fuel off and it back fired but kept running . For some reason I didn't check the rotor after that, just realized that would be smart to do as I'm typing this.(idiot!) Anyone know of a programmer for my jeep that will raise the rev limiter and adjust timing I've looked and can't seem to find anything
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

You will find all the info you want at this place. http://thespeedfreaks.net/
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
V8jeepinVA
too much to list

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
You will find all the info you want at this place. http://thespeedfreaks.net/
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.