back hatch won't open. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > back hatch won't open.

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

back hatch won't open.

Just like the title says, Its a 93. Tried leaning on it hitting it and few cuss words. Sad part was I opened it two minutes before. Forgot to to put something in. How do I open it so I can work on it? Is there a quick release?

jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Crawl inside, get inside the inside cover and you can pull the latch from the inside. I had to do that as well. I pinched the **** outta my fingers, careful.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

That's what I was affraid of
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Pull up on the threaded rod.

Early models use a metal clip. When the latch gums up and binds, the clip can come off the rod.

Clean, then lube (lithium grease spray) the mechanism while activating the latch.

Adjust the rod position in the clip for proper operation. Snug enough so the latch releases well before the handle bottoms out. But not so snug that the latch does not fully engage.

After reading all the horror stories here, I cleaned/lubed/adjusted mine before it failed. Works easy/smooth like new again.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Thanks guys. Now the fun begins of trying to get the panel off.
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

The panel is very fun to remove while the liftgate is closed. That is if you like a challenge or are very patient.

I ran out of patience and just ripped it out...
and here are the results of that...

I need to buy a new one now...
Pierre_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Once you get the panel off, its easy. When I bought mine, the hatch was stuck. I got it open, lubed the latch, and it was fine for about 6 months. Then it got stuck again. So this time, I took some mechanics wire and wrapped it around the lever on the latch, then ran it up thru a small hole I drilled in the panel
then made a loop on the end. So if it gets stuck again, I just have to pull the wire and it will open
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Went pretty smooth 20 mins. Turns out the locking mech is locking it self, depending on hard of a shut. The slide bar is sliding of over. So I found a quick fix of hitting the unlock button a couple times will make the latch work. Of course, discovered this after I took off the back panel.

Question kinda the same area? I have a dangling wiring harness is the back hatch( behind the panel). Everything seems to be connected. It's got black, black and yellow wires any ideas?
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Could just be rusty, try some wd40 in it or it could be the spring inside that came off....
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

To open the lift gate and remove the lift gate cover: Remove the bolts, underneath the car, that hold the latching mech of the tail gate. OR cut a hole in the plastic lift gate cover and pull up on the rod. Make a patch to cover the hole. Then you can remove the patch for the next time the latch sticks. Usually positioning the rod higher and securing the rod with a zip tie will work. File down any banged up parts on the latch and the catch. Get it working freely so the latch snaps open. I replaced my rear gate latch just today. Found a good working one at the pick and pull. Cost me $3.50. Took 10min to replace.
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_r View Post
The panel is very fun to remove while the liftgate is closed. That is if you like a challenge or are very patient.

I ran out of patience and just ripped it out...
and here are the results of that...

I need to buy a new one now...

Haha, sounds like me

Build thread^^
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I'm having a similar strange problem....the back hatch will now only open, if i first pop the glass hatch above...
I fail to see the connection between the 2....could someone point me in the right direction as far as what could be going on in there?
angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
I'm having a similar strange problem....the back hatch will now only open, if i first pop the glass hatch above...
I fail to see the connection between the 2....could someone point me in the right direction as far as what could be going on in there?
Sounds like a post I would read from here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/y...-when-1324937/

Build thread^^

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.