Back Door Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Back Door Speakers

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
klap

Back Door Speakers

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee and the driver side back door speaker is rattling and driving me crazy.

Does anybody know how to get the door off so I can try and see what is wrong with the speaker??

klap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

Re: Back Door Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by klap
Does anybody know how to get the door off so I can try and see what is wrong with the speaker??
I assume you want to remove the door trim panel and not the whole door. If this is the case, here are the instructions from the Haynes manual. (Sorry no pictures).

1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. (Power windows and locks)
2. Remove the door trim panel retaining screws and the door pull/armrest assembly.
3. On manual window models, remove the window crank.
4. Insert a special door panel clip removal tool (available at auto parts stores) or a putty knife between the trim panel and the door and disengage the retaining clips. Work around the outer edge until the panel is free.
5. Once all of the clips are disengaged, detach the trim panel, disconnect any wire harness connectors and remove the trim panel from the vehicle. Note: on some models, disconnect the latch rod from the inner door handle.
6. For access to the inner door, carefully peel back the plastic water shield.
7. Prior to installation of the door panel, be sure to reinstall any clips in the panel which may have come out during the removal procedure and remain in the door itself.
8. Connect the wire harness connectors and place the panel in position in the door. Press the trim panel into place until the clips are seated.
9. Install the armrest/door pulls and the window crank. Connect the negative battery cable.

Credit to the Haynes Repair Manual for Jeep Grand Cherokee 1992 thru 2000 [] all models

hth
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
klap

I can only find one screw on that backdoor. Where would the others be hiding??

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
klap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 03:03 PM   #4
moabster
2011 WK 

I haven't looked at a 97 but the door usually has one screw for the door handle cover, one or two for the armrest/door pull and there might be one more behind a trim plug. The door panel is mostly held in by the hidden clips that you loosen with the pry tool or putty knife.
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
vts

Re: Re: Back Door Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by moabster

1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. (Power windows and locks)

4. Insert a special door panel clip removal tool (available at auto parts stores) or a putty knife between the trim panel and the door and disengage the retaining clips. Work around the outer edge until the panel is free.

Is number 1 really necessary or is it just there for liability reasons?

Do you really need to use a tool to get the clips out? Are they the same type of clips you find on most all other doors (that I've just pulled until they popped out for years)?
vts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #6
Big Dumb White Guy

Re: Re: Re: Back Door Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by vts

Do you really need to use a tool to get the clips out? Are they the same type of clips you find on most all other doors (that I've just pulled until they popped out for years)?
your answers in order....
yes & no.

if know a slick way of getting the clips out, without breaking them, go for it.

there is a eliptical shaped plug by the pull handle to open the door. use a little itty-bitty screw-driver to pry that out. there's a screw behind it. and yes check in the arm rest - where you would put your fingers in to pull the door shut.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:48 PM   #7
moabster
2011 WK 

Re: Re: Re: Back Door Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by vts

Number 1 is there because it was in the haynes manual. Most people probably don't disconnect the battery. If you don't you run the risk of shorting something out. I would rather disconnect the battery than replace a window or lock motor.

Number 4: I always used a putty knife or thin screw driver. I have boogered up the trim and broken clips. Sometimes the clips came out with no problems. You will probably get better results using the tool made for the job.
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
vts

I don't suppose someone has a picture of the little clips??? I'm trying to visualize how it would work to shove a "putty knife between the trim panel and the door and disengage the retaining clips"
vts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.