Axle/wheels make loud knocking noise on sharp turns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Axle/wheels make loud knocking noise on sharp turns

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Gracie

Axle/wheels make loud knocking noise on sharp turns

My 96 Grand Cherokee Limited is suddenly making very loud knocking noises when I make a sharp turn - like into a driveway or a tight parking space - not while just driving and following the road.

I had some previous suspension issues with Death Wobble but that was fixed with a new steering stabilizer.

Is this serious? Any ideas what it might be?

TIA!!

Gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

It could be your CVs going bad they make a loud knocking/clicking noise in sharp turns when going bad.
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Gracie,

another ZJ issue is that the steering box will or could come loose from the bolts. Check them under the driver's side wheel well. Just three bolts need to be tightened. If they are loose, tighten them but don't bubba tighten them as you could strip them.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Do the tires skip or do you hear a horrible knocking/thumping a while you are turning into a parking spot? If so then it could be your Viscous Coupler. This only applies to Jeeps with the Quadratrac AWD system.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

i'm having the same problem on my 94 grand Cherokee v8 5.2 is knocking will i drive, I thank I have a bad U-joint but not sure, i was thank about taking out the front drive shaft, but I have a 249 with new VC and parts i dont want to burn it out. I have work Monday and cant deal with with the U-joint a the moment so can I remove the front drive shaft for a few weeks or will that burn out the VC, any help would be great.

PS I also have a bad CV joint to not sure if that causing the knocking?
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Dustmuffins
1995 ZJ 

Ball joints? Mine are clunking. If I crank the wheel all the way in one direction, get out and shove the top of the wheel back and forth with all my strength, my lower ball joints will clunk if I shake hard enough. It may be that for you.

Sucks because these ones are less than a year old. Right side too just like last time. I hope my axle housing isn't messed up.
Dustmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

have someone twist the front drive shaft back and forth from under the jeep while you inspect the u joints
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Bigloww
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely CV joints as mentioned above. My 95 has been doing it for a year or so intermittently. Only at low speeds and very tight turns. Sometimes with a little jerking action, but not always. Herd it could also be the dredded Viscus Coupler as well, but not too worried about it.. With almost 180K on it and being beat on in the snow and mud a bit, it could be anything. Could also be the U joints on the front drive shaftas well, but I would guess CV or ballers.
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigloww View Post
Most likely CV joints as mentioned above. My 95 has been doing it for a year or so intermittently. Only at low speeds and very tight turns. Sometimes with a little jerking action, but not always. Herd it could also be the dredded Viscus Coupler as well, but not too worried about it.. With almost 180K on it and being beat on in the snow and mud a bit, it could be anything. Could also be the U joints on the front drive shaftas well, but I would guess CV or ballers.
will i have a bad CV axle that i've been ignoring for two years. i do not think its the VC because i replaced 5 month ago and it only has 1,500 miles on it, and it only happens when im going slow speeds. so must diffidently it has to be the cv axle because it knocking and popping at slow speeds when i turn tightly plus it hopping when i turn.
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Why did you post if you already knew the answer?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Why did you post if you already knew the answer?
because im not sure if its the cv axle or not, i know i have a bad cv but it could also be a u-joint. i'm not sure if its my transfer case and the VC because i just replaced the VC 5 months ago and it only has 1,500 miles on it, i have matching tires. it only happens at low speeds i get a knock sound, and the wheel hoops when i do a sharp turn, i did a 360 and my car was hooping. so i have no idea what is going on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.