Axle-Wheel connection issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Axle-Wheel connection issue.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Axle-Wheel connection issue.

So some quick back-story:
Went playin in the mud yesterday, and took some hard hits all around the vehicle as some of the ground was still frozen.

Anyway, on the way home, I noticed that there was a clunking noise coming from the front passenger side. When I washed all the mud off the undercarriage, I looked at where the wheel meets the axle, and the seal that was there on the other side was shredded. The connector (?) now moves around waaaaay more than it does on the other side. It looks like the gear-type thing that's inside the wheel is just super loose. What do I need to fix, how much will it probably cost, and is it still safe to drive around town?

Help!

MTBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Could it be your CV joint in the front axle?
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Sublime69
1993 ZJ 

X2 on the CV axle.... I just replaced one of mine and it was about $50 at autozone.
Sublime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I have no idea. The part that's exposed looks like a gear. It's like a bearing?
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The abs tone ring is loose? You need a new wheel bearing...maybe.

You're having trouble describing the issue in terms we can understand. take some decent pictures, upload to photobucket, and post the links here.

You haven't posted enough to upload directly to here

Bad shaft or bad bearing, i would park it till fixed.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The abs tone ring is loose? You need a new wheel bearing...maybe.

You're having trouble describing the issue in terms we can understand. take some decent pictures, upload to photobucket, and post the links here.

You haven't posted enough to upload directly to here

Bad shaft or bad bearing, i would park it till fixed.
You can do more damage,and cost MO MONEY if you drive it

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

figured out what it was in TECHNICAL terms haha

the cv joint is loose in its socket, and the cv boot is absolutely shredded. expensive fix? safe to drive?
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Depending on your skill and tools available it's a relatively easy fix. Part costs around $50 ~ 75. Labor is another story.

Here's a great writeup on replacing ball joints. You will not need to get that far (unless your balljoints are shot you may as well.) Anyway, look over this write up to see if you're up for the challenge. You'll only need to get the tire, brake caliper, axle nut and hub bearing off to replace the CV.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ite-up-984507/
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

being that my jeep is my daily driver, and if i screw something up i can't go to school, i don't want to risk taking all that apart. SO, that being the case, i think i'll just buy the parts and take it in to a guy i know.

thanks for the link, too. i just need a long weekend and someone who knows what they're doing, and i could whip right through that (hopefully).
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

It's cheaper for you to start learning and begin a tool collection. I agree though, if it's beyond your capability then take it to someone. Other thing you could do is seek help from a fellow jeeper who has done this on his own and offer to trade services. Perhaps there's something you can do that they can't and they're willing to trade labor. Just a thought. Not sure about rates in your states, but around here, a stranger would swap it for around $200 + parts. A known mechanic would probably do it for less since they know it really goes quick. If you get a quote for $400 including one CV then it's probably a bit high. Best of luck fixing the vehicle and if you get the chance, be there when the work is done and try to learn whatever you can (but stay out of the way unless they specifically ask for help.)
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.