axle u-joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > axle u-joint

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

axle u-joint

Ok the latest project on my "new" zj is to solve the squeaking problem. I hear a squeaking/chirping from the drivers side front wheel. This sound is not audible above 40mph, isn't tied to rpm but increases with vehicle speed. It also goes away when I apply the brakes. The u-joint looks dry and rusty and as an experiment I hit it carefully with some wd40. The squeaking went away for about 10 min of driving.

Also I noticed it king of binds a bit on a really tight turn. But only on really tight turns. I swapped a 242 in a week ago, so I am just noticing the binding as seperate from the 249 problems I was also having.

The brakes are rusty looking but have 1/4 inch left on the pads.

My questions are : #1 can these u-joints be greased or is the u-joint just failing and in need of replacing?

#2. Is it even the u-joint if the sound stops when braking? Or would that be more of it just changes the stress when decelerating?

#3 if I have to replace the u-joint should I to ahead and replace the hub as a pre-emptive strike against wheel bearings going out eventually?

The ZJ in question is a 94 limited with the 5.2 engine. I am also quite new to car repairs. I've swapped a 242 in and changed out a oil pressure sending unit. That's the limit of my experiance in repairs so far. How hard is changing out a bad u-joint?

StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

u joints arent too hard. theyre very easy if you have access to a small shop press. if not you can just use a BFH. theres lots of videos on youtube on how to replace u joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.