axle u-joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > axle u-joint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

axle u-joint

Ok the latest project on my "new" zj is to solve the squeaking problem. I hear a squeaking/chirping from the drivers side front wheel. This sound is not audible above 40mph, isn't tied to rpm but increases with vehicle speed. It also goes away when I apply the brakes. The u-joint looks dry and rusty and as an experiment I hit it carefully with some wd40. The squeaking went away for about 10 min of driving.

Also I noticed it king of binds a bit on a really tight turn. But only on really tight turns. I swapped a 242 in a week ago, so I am just noticing the binding as seperate from the 249 problems I was also having.

The brakes are rusty looking but have 1/4 inch left on the pads.

My questions are : #1 can these u-joints be greased or is the u-joint just failing and in need of replacing?

#2. Is it even the u-joint if the sound stops when braking? Or would that be more of it just changes the stress when decelerating?

#3 if I have to replace the u-joint should I to ahead and replace the hub as a pre-emptive strike against wheel bearings going out eventually?

The ZJ in question is a 94 limited with the 5.2 engine. I am also quite new to car repairs. I've swapped a 242 in and changed out a oil pressure sending unit. That's the limit of my experiance in repairs so far. How hard is changing out a bad u-joint?

StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

u joints arent too hard. theyre very easy if you have access to a small shop press. if not you can just use a BFH. theres lots of videos on youtube on how to replace u joints

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.