Axle Nut torque specifications - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Axle Nut torque specifications

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
GregC
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Axle Nut torque specifications

I am replacing the front hub assembly on my 99 Grand cherokee 4x4. I need to know how many lbs. pounds to tighten the 36mm axle nut too. Reason I am asking is because i replaced this hub not much over a year ago and it has already went bad. I want to make sure it isnt something i am doing wrong. Thanks for any help!!

GregC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

175 ft.lbs. is the short answer... longer answer is, "brand." Honestly, brands really matter a lot.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Also, welcome to JF!!!
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
GregC
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for both replys. That should be helpful. The bearing brand I got is Timken. The one I got a year ago came from Advance. It was still under warranty and when i went to get it replaced they couldnt find my warranty info, so I was out of luck. But I was glad to find the Timkens for the same money.
GregC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

For future reference, what Jeep do you have?

Your profile says a 99 Cherokee (XJ), but you said you have a 99 Grand Cherokee (WJ), but you posted in the 93-98 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) forum.
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
sebian
1995 ZJ 

You should like the Timkins. A lot of folks on here have said many good things about them, and I just recently put a set on my Jeep. So far they seem pretty good, and I like them!

Welcome to JF!

PS: 175 Ft LBS is the recommended torq spec for the hub nut, so get a few friends and 3 foot breaker bar to tighten that thing up.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.