axle change question- between WJ & TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > axle change question- between WJ & TJ

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
genislav ronen
1999 WJ 

axle change question- between WJ & TJ

Hello friends,

I own a 1999 WJ ,with Iron Rock 4" lift kit , MX6 Pro Comp shocks,245/75/16 bf mt tires and tom woods hd front drive shaft.

I am quite disappointed from the Quadra-Drive 4-wheel drive system abilities! –
It is not doing what it is suppose to do , and if I may quote from jeep's web site:
"The system instantly detects Tire slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to the tires with traction".

Since I love technical off road wheeling ,
I looked for buying rear and front differential locks,
i found out that the front axle have a lot of diff locks options ,
but for the rear axle the only recommended option available for 44dana aluminum was Aussie Locker which is not for sale anymore.

I heard that the TJ Wrangler / Rubicon axles( 44dana) are suitable for wj and can replace the wj original axles.
The coast for rear and front is around 2500$.
I understood that these tj axles are equipped with advanced and durable technology,
Also they originally comes with diff locks.

If it is true I will want to do just that and change the axles to tj axles.

My question is –did anyone have experience with changing the wj axles to tj axles ?
If yes ,do you need to change or adjust anything in the wj or in the new tj axle in order to make the replacement ?
what are the needed changes adjustments ?
any more info regards this issue will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Genislav Ronen

1999 WJ /IRO 6" C.Path LA F&R /clayton's 4 linked rear end /D30-ARB /D44A- Aussie'd /Chromoly U-Joint F.Axle /242hd /4.10's /FOX 2.0 shocks /JKS shock adapters /F.Adj T.Bar /HD double SS/Pitman drop kit /T.Woods F.double cardan d.shaft +pinion yoke&TC yoke /265/75/16 bf mt /Solid HD dana 30 cover/Double open air fillter/ black rock 4" bs /Lower F+R C.Spring Retainers /4" front B. Stops /SUPERCHIP /Addco Rear HD Sway Bar /Rock Sliders /T.case skid plate /HAYDEN hd gear radiator
genislav ronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
White_XJ1287
2004 WJ 

Get axles out of a JK Rubicon. They are the same width and bolt pattern!
White_XJ1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

As White_XJ1287 said, you would probably be better off with JK axles.

TJ axles are narrower than WJ axles - about 60" wide on TJ axles vs. 63" wide on WJ axles.

TJ axles are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, WJs are 5 on 5.

JK axles are about 65" wide and are 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

Which ever axle you start with, you would have to cut off all the TJ or JK bracketry and weld on WJ brackets.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
genislav ronen
1999 WJ 

thanks ,

i ment tj or jk .

did anyone did it for his wj ?

i have a long arm lift kit- driver y arm ,
will i need to adjust the front axle and prepare new base for the long arms or is it similar to the wj axle base ?

ronen
1999 WJ /IRO 6" C.Path LA F&R /clayton's 4 linked rear end /D30-ARB /D44A- Aussie'd /Chromoly U-Joint F.Axle /242hd /4.10's /FOX 2.0 shocks /JKS shock adapters /F.Adj T.Bar /HD double SS/Pitman drop kit /T.Woods F.double cardan d.shaft +pinion yoke&TC yoke /265/75/16 bf mt /Solid HD dana 30 cover/Double open air fillter/ black rock 4" bs /Lower F+R C.Spring Retainers /4" front B. Stops /SUPERCHIP /Addco Rear HD Sway Bar /Rock Sliders /T.case skid plate /HAYDEN hd gear radiator
genislav ronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

you will just simply take the donor axle's and weld WJ brackets on them. and bolt up to the suspesnion.

Call Josh at IRO they are working on a project for it, both front and rear, new front suspesion and a few other goodies
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
SFCBunnell
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a change is in the future. I have a question, I just had my rear diff go (2005 TJ Unlimited) What should I do to NOT pay the "car lot" price of 2200.00? I am on a small buget (Soldier) and have to get it fixed.

Thank you...
SFCBunnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.