AX-15 swap COMPLETE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AX-15 swap COMPLETE!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

AX-15 swap COMPLETE!

Well my friends the day has come. My swap is now complete and there's nothing left to do. It took three weeks, many scrapes, and my savings account, but it's done.

Sorry for the crappy pics, the Kodak is still not working. My Palm pilot leaves things to be desired definately.

Here's the damage not including the parts I bought that I did not need.

AX-15 tranny $275 From a 94 XJ 4.0L 82,xxx miles. Rear end collision. Junkyard purchase, traded 42RE for the core. Came with bellhousing and shifter.

AX-15 tranny mount (Rockauto) $54 (shipped) Looked up M/T mount and there it was. Fit perfectly on the stock crossmember.

Clutch kit $142 Napa Gold for a 94 JGC with a M/T (Gotta deal because father-in-law works at a Napa)

Flywheel $50 Also Napa Gold for a 94 JGC with an M/T

Clutch and brake pedals $85 out of a 88 XJ.

Clutch master cylinder and external slave (Make sure to use an external, they are sooo much easier) $75 From a 97 TJ.

Crankshaft position sensor for a M/T $62 Pep boys

Rear driveshaft $85 Needed to be 3" longer than A/T's

Front driveshaft shortened and balanced $85, it cleaned mine up good and got rid of vibes.

Shifter boots, and ZJ AX-15 T-case linkage, and ZJ AX-15 5-speed shifter/lever/knob, $100.

Bellhousing dust cover $25 (you can get these from any AX-15 equipped Jeep.)

Various hardware $35 (bolts and stuff)

Rocker switch w/cover $5

Total Damage = $1078 per my reciepts. Those prices include shipping.

Still half the price of rebuilding my auto. I would've had it built right with a shift kit and beefier stuff so it would've cost me about $2200.

It drives great, has tons of pull in 1st through 3rd, fourth and fifth are pretty much the same as third and fourth on the auto, except you don't have a torque converter doing it's own thing and I can accelerate from 40 mph in 5th gear without shifting. I filled up this morning after putting 200 miles on since my road trip after getting it running and my in town average was 17.9 miles per gallon. I normally get between 13-15, usually closer to the 13, so big savings at the pump. (I filled up just to see the miles per gallon on paper. The computer showed 17.5) My short clutch break in/road trip gave me a reading of around 19 even though I was flooring it and climbing steep grades and having way too much fun.

Some things I should note. Not all AX-15's are the same. The ones used prior to 1994 have a different input shaft, with the exception of the ones used in ZJ's. The 93 ZJ got the upgraded for 1994 version (when they were first built) and from 1994 till 2000, everything is pretty much the same.

The tranny mount in the GC is somewhat different so please order a new one when attempting this.

I never suggest using a used flywheel and clutch, (I've worked on this stuff before) but if you are going to go that route, a 94+ XJ or a TJ have the same stuff, so you can use one of those.

Clutch and brake pedals. You can go two routes with this one. TJ and YJ pedals and their brackets do not fit. (ASK ME HOW I KNOW) The XJ bracket will also not fit. (ANOTHER WASTE OF GOOD MONEY) You can do two things without building your own. First, find an AX-15 equipped ZJ in a junkyard (they are on Car-part.com, but you won't find those listed, you have to search for other parts that are AX-15 specific, like driveshafts and call the yard to see if they have what you need), they will run you between $150 and $125 not to include shipping. A set of XJ pedals works great if you put them in your stock brake bracket. I didn't think it would work, but it did. I did RTV a nut onto my brake switch, otherwise the pedal would not have made contact with it. Works great though and cost me less than ZJ specifics.

The clutch master cylinder from an XJ or ZJ is the best. They use a remote reservoir which helps with space in this area. 93-95's have the hole already there, you just have to remove an inspection plate to open it up. The clutch master should be connected with a line to the clutch slave. Don't let anyone convince you they come seperate. Once the line has been disconnected, the slave is no good. You can get a new line on the master, but not the slave. I used a TJ's Clutch master and it worked, but will be hard to add fluid to in the future.

The CPS from the auto will not work. Go out and buy the one you need.

It would've cost about $180 to lengthen my rear driveshaft, so I found one used on car-part.com for $85 shipped and it worked perfect. Again, ZJ AX-15 equipped is the requirement.

Having the front driveshaft shortened, balanced, and pretty much overhauled was at least $50 cheaper than buying another one that had been in a junkyard for years.

The AX-15 T-case linkage attaches to the tranny in a vertical fashion. The 42RE's linkage attaches horizontally, so they are incompatable. Novak conversions makes a nice setup I thought about going with, but I got a good deal on shift boots plus all the stock ZJ AX-15 linkage, so I went with it. A XJ or TJ linkage might work, I never compared them to see if it would.

Bellhousing dust cover, you wouldn't believe how many places just scrap these when they pull the tranny. It was hard to find, you can get it from a dealer for $45 plus tax, but I found an XJ that didn't need it anymore.

I needed bolts, as the tranny didn't come with the bellhousing bolts and I needed longer ones than the auto used. So yeah, the folks at Ace hardware got to know me pretty good.

When you do this you have to ground the neutral safety switch, otherwise, the Jeep will not start. When you ground the switch, you have no cruise because the vehicle believes itself to be in either park or neutral. To alliviate this problem, I used a rocker swith with a cover. (See above pics) I put it in one position to start, and another to use the cruise. Works great. I could've hooked up the harness on the Clutch master Cylinder, but I like being able to start out in gear if I want to.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Phil, Hunter or Warren, could we post this in the FAQ? Thanks!

Last edited by Woody; 01-19-2006 at 08:37 PM..
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
CinciSurWJ

Let me be the first one to Congratulate you !

Congratulation Woody !
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Woody, looks great, can't wait to meet you two

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
jeepholic

Woody,
This is my favorite mod ever!!!!
What no pics of the Clutch Cylinders?
Where is the master mounted and was the holes for it all ready there?
Sorry if I missed this in the write up.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Looks good You always drive around in FT?
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Lookin good Woody! Now to schedule your trip out to NC.....
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Nice Work! Congrats!
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

This was a great adventure! I know we all enjoyed the ups and downs knowing you'd succeed in the end!
Congrats there cardigan!!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Kcolg

So.....When would be a good time to bring mine to you for the swap? I see a future business for ya! And this is my idea so mine should be at a discount
1994 ZJ - 4.0 - 242 - 4.5" RE lift - 32" Maxxis Bighorns - 4.11 gears - Super 35 axle - Ected lockers front and rear - On Board Air - JKS Quicker Disco's - ARB front - engine/TC/Gas tank skids - home made sliders - a little of Kevins stuff

Kcolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Thanks Suresh

Same to you Tim, will your GF be bringing the 5.9?

Alan, you missed it. When I get a chance I will post some pics of the clutch master and slave.

Ryan, was trying it out. It didn't feel any different from 2wd, but when on slippery surfaces, it helped me keep my traction. VERY COOL!

Charlie, fly to St. Louis or somewhere and I'll pick you up. I will not drive to NC unless I get stationed there after 3 or 4 years in AK. You are more than welcome to ride.

Thanks Blaine

Phil, Cardigan burned due to job being over. I was cheering as it burned. Lots of ups and downs on this one, probably bought $450 worth of stuff that didn't work, but at least I can sell most of it.

Kclog, I cannot remember your name. Sorry. If you really want to bring your Jeep to Alaska, I would be willing to help. Make sure you have all the parts on hand and it won't take long. I'll give you a discount, we'll just have to see on price.

Thanks for the kind words. Phil, if you bribe me (Vodka works well) you might get a drive. We'll have to see. Tim, I can start researching NV4500's for ya.
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Vodka it is then!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I'll bring the OJ for my son.
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

If only you had picked a weekend where I had a 3 day weekend or else I'd get with puma and go up to the Badlands to meet all y'all.

w00t 700 post!!!
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Sorry, my military duties only give me a small window of which to do this.

Way to go on 700, I hit 3500 today.
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

The rubber on that clutch pedal needs to be replaced already!
Never a dull moment!!

Phil - I'll bring a small vodka.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.