awd suddenly 2wd - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > awd suddenly 2wd

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
jeepjeepster

Thats something. I cant imagine how its not making some horrible noises.

You either have some bad cv joints, broken axles, or the ring and pinion/spider gears are gone. Very interested in knowing what the inside of the diff looks like.

You sure you ever had 4wd?

jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

Haha its making a lot of rattling noises now. I think I might have gotten water in my front diff. And yes, Im 100% sure I had awd before, ive done my fair share of mudding and going on trails and such. Right now im a poor college student, so once I get some funds to take it apart and fix it, ill post some pictures.
joeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

At least take it apart and clean it out. Don't drive it like that.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

How should I clean it out? I honestly have like $7 in my bank, haha so I cant even afford new diff fluid to throw back in.
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

IMO, rattling is likely the cv axle shaft joint, or both. Ring and pinion would most likely be described as "horrible grinding/banging"
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #21
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

I dont know if any of you have Instagram, but I posted a video of my Jeep up on jack stands in drive. Thejoeyfish is the username. I dont know how to share videos on here.
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

So I took it all apart and turnes out my cv axle bearings were non existant. I bought a new axle shaft, installed it, and now everything seems to work. My jeep does slightly pull in the opposite direction of the side that I installed the shaft on now though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.