awd suddenly 2wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > awd suddenly 2wd

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

awd suddenly 2wd

So I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 5.2 motor. My transfer case only has AWD all time, neutral, and 4 low. Today while driving in the dirt I made a right turn and gave it gas when suddenly my rear end swung around. Usually it doesnt do that, so after doing a couple of doughnuts in the dirt, and a burnout on wet asphalt, i came to the conclusion my jeep is only working in Rwd. I still have park, and my jeep functions normal other than now only being rwd. In 4 low I think the 4wd works, but im not 100% on that. What should my course of action be to see what happened? Its pretty cool actually, I seem to be getting slightly better milleage, I can drift and do brake stands, but I want to make sure it wont get to the point to where none of the wheels get power cause this is my daily.

joeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

My first guess would be the CV in the front driveshaft is broken. I can't think of any scenario where 4 full time would not work but 4 lo would.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
jeepjeepster

Very odd since the 93 249 is basically an open diff until a tire spins, then the vc starts to tighten up.

To truely test the vc, jack up the rear wheels with a floor jack that has wheels. Put a small wood block infront of the front wheels (2x4 or similar) and see if the front wheels will pull over the small wood block. If the rear wheels just spin your vc is bad.

Just the rear wheels shouldnt have power though, even if the 249 is bad. Sure the tcase hasnt been swapped out? Say for a 96-98 tcase.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

I do hear slight rattling when I drive now and I think its coming from the transfer case, but im not completely sure on that. I only hear it at low speeds. And I think my jeep has been towed behind a motorhome most its life because it has electrical hookups installed, and after finding old paperwork from the two previous owners and doing a little facebook stalking, they were both older men and the one who owned it from brand new to about a couple years ago im guessing just towed it around. Would that damage anything at all? And ill have to crawl under and check out the tcase to see if I see anything about what kind it is. Ill also check the front drive shaft and the front axle for anything. Today I parked on a steep driveway and when I put it in park, it very slowly started rolling backwards. So slow, I thought I was imagining things.
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

93-95 249 will roll in park with the front shaft removed. It will also ruin a good viscous coupler. I would bet you broke the axle shafts or something in the front diff flogging on it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
jeepjeepster

Dang, I cant imagine breaking an axle or front driveshaft and not realizing it. Surely it would make all sorts of crazy noises when driving.

If it rolls at all you've got something wrong. Either the front drive shaft is missing or something is up inside of the tcase.
Unread 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Just throwing this out but, if the tc chain broke, would it not still have rear wheel drive? I drove an XJ maybe a month ago, where the tc case literally blew apart because of the chain, but it still had rear wheel drive.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

So your guess is that something in my front axle is broken? I think thats definitely possible, ill take the cover off and see what I can find.
Unread 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyfish View Post
So your guess is that something in my front axle is broken? I think thats definitely possible, ill take the cover off and see what I can find.
If the ring and pinion was bad it would be making horrible noises. Check the front driveshaft first. It does not require taking anything apart. Its also possible that one of the CV's on the axle shafts if broken. Again, no need to take anything apart. Just open your eye and look.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

I looked on the transfer case and it had the number 249 stamped onto a metal tab. The front drive shaft had a little bit of play in it, but not much. The rear shaft had basically no play at all. My cv boots need to be replaced, but nothing looked broken from what I could see.
Unread 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
jeepjeepster

If its rolling in P something is messed up.

Do you have access to a jack and jack stands? Jack up a front tire and see if you can rotote it. Shouldnt be able to at all.
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyfish View Post
I do hear slight rattling when I drive now and I think its coming from the transfer case, but im not completely sure on that. I only hear it at low speeds. And I think my jeep has been towed behind a motorhome most its life because it has electrical hookups installed, and after finding old paperwork from the two previous owners and doing a little facebook stalking, they were both older men and the one who owned it from brand new to about a couple years ago im guessing just towed it around. Would that damage anything at all? And ill have to crawl under and check out the tcase to see if I see anything about what kind it is. Ill also check the front drive shaft and the front axle for anything. Today I parked on a steep driveway and when I put it in park, it very slowly started rolling backwards. So slow, I thought I was imagining things.
Do you have cv axle shafts? If so, one of those could be busted at the joint and it would rattle, and leave you in 2wd. But it would be 2wd in 4lo also. ..
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

I dont think the 4low is working anymore. I put the jeep up on blocks and only the back tires spun, even in 4 low. And I think I have cv shafts.. the boots are torn though.
Unread 07-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Is the front driveshaft spinning while the front wheels aren't?
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

I threw it up on blocks again, and yes. The front shaft is spinning and I can see that the noise is coming from the front axle. And it does not have 4 wheel drive in 4 low anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.