AW4 transmission - late shifts when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AW4 transmission - late shifts when cold

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

AW4 transmission - late shifts when cold

When my AW4 is cold, it takes anything from five to ten seconds to find the gear when going from P to R (which is always my first gearshift when starting in the morning). It also suffers from late shifting from 1 to 2 while cold, and I typically have to lift off the throttle before it will shift (sometimes I have to do this two or three times before I get the first 1-2 shift). Once it's warmed up, everything's fine.

Just to be clear, the trans fluid is recent (I drained and refilled 5 times over a couple of weeks so hopefully there is no old fluid left) and the TV cable is correctly adjusted. I'm assuming that it's just a case of the trans being old, tired and in need of a rebuild, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone can suggest any cheaper possibilities for a fix, such as solenoids or whatever.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

let it warm up before heading out.. trans in gear transfer case in neutral and wheels blocked. Idling to "warm it up" does nothing in getting the transmission warm.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
davidmatlack
1996 ZJ 

Tranny Relay in Power Mgmt Box?

I just replaced this at 254k and feel the tranny is responding faster and smoother. I wasn't having any probelms with it but had just replaced the relay for the AC clutch which was acting up.

best
davidmatlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
When my AW4 is cold, it takes anything from five to ten seconds to find the gear when going from P to R (which is always my first gearshift when starting in the morning). It also suffers from late shifting from 1 to 2 while cold, and I typically have to lift off the throttle before it will shift (sometimes I have to do this two or three times before I get the first 1-2 shift). Once it's warmed up, everything's fine.

Just to be clear, the trans fluid is recent (I drained and refilled 5 times over a couple of weeks so hopefully there is no old fluid left) and the TV cable is correctly adjusted. I'm assuming that it's just a case of the trans being old, tired and in need of a rebuild, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone can suggest any cheaper possibilities for a fix, such as solenoids or whatever.
It's a different tranny put same problem. My c6 does that and its a internal leak somewhere in the pump/tc. Over nite the pump/tc drains and has to fill back up. Is there a big thud/jerk when it does go into gear?
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
larry33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2

I had the exat same problem in my 95 zj. I added the lucas stop slip/leak fluid. Over the last 2 weeks i has gotten almost back to normal
larry33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.