AW4 Swap into an OBDII ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AW4 Swap into an OBDII ZJ

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

AW4 Swap into an OBDII ZJ

Okay, so you want to install an Aisin-Warner AW4 transmission into your OBDII ZJ, but have no idea about how to do it? The following is my writeup of the part list including the part numbers where needed as well as step by step installation steps. (Part numbers from dealership surrounded by asterisk's)

Parts list:
1X AW4 (Must be a 23 spline, found in 91 and up XJ's behind the 4.0, as well as select ZJ's in early 93)
1X Torque converter from an aw4
1X Flex plate from an aw4
1X Dustshield from an aw4 *53005907 AND 53004908*
1X TCM from same year XJ
3X connectors for TCM (there are two - one gray and one black - that connect to the body of the transmission and one that connects to the TCM)
4X Torque converter bolts (flex plate bolts are the same for both setups) *34202497*
1X AW4 shifter cable bracket *53007746*
1X AW4 Shifter cable *5207 8452*
1X AW4 Shifter bezel *55033646
1X Aw4 floor shifter for a 93 ZJ with the AW4 *53007749*
1X Tcase shifter bracket on the Transmission body *52077509* (I ended up not using this, I went with a Novak shifter kit for the 231 instead.
1X Cross member from a 93-95 ZJ (be sure to get the bolt that holds the mount onto it)
1X Cross member trans mount *52018857* (I bought from Advanced Auto PN - 621049)
1X Crank Position sensor (This one is tricky, you need to buy one out of an XJ, but you need to buy one out of the same year vehichle that you have. I have a 96, so I bought one from a 96 XJ with an Advance Auto part number of AL2017. This is due to the connectors, for some reason they changed them from year to year, but kept them the same across the board for the ZJ and XJ at least in 1996)
Assorted fittings for the cooler lines - I used the stock lines that came with the AW4 and spliced in soft lines
I installed an auxillary cooler in line after the stock cooler on the radiator - This isn't necessary but heat is the easiest way to kill a transmission
Driveshafts - I am using a driveshaft that is off a zj with the 42re and the 242. I tried to use a front driveshaft of a zj with the 42re and the 242, and it was too long; even after compressing it all the way, it couldn't even fit between the yokes. Another edit - The front driveshaft from an XJ with the aw4 and 4.0 WILL NOT fit, it only allows less than half an inch of travel, which isn't near enough.

Parts to reuse from your 42RE:
Flex plate bolts and spacer
Starter
Some bellhousing bolts, but you're going to have to buy some shorter bolts or get the ones off the aw4 equipped vehicle.
Crossmember bolts to "frame" rails

Procedure:

Removing the 42re

-This is a pretty straight forward process, so I'm not going to go into detail. I had no idea what I was doing and I still was able to do it really easily. A couple basic steps though, drop the back end of the transmission then remove all the connections off the transmission. Then unbolt the bellhousing including the starter and all of the bolts holding on the dust shield. You should be able to then rotate the flex plate to remove the 4 torque converter bolts. If everything is out, you should be able to rock the transmission off the back of the block, but be careful it falls off a jack easily.

Installing the aw4

-Everything should be out of the way and ready to install now.

-Place the top portion of the dust shield on the back of the block. It aligns itself on pegs on either side of the block. Then install the flexplate and torque to spec. You're going to have to spin the flex plate around to line it up correctly because the bolt holes aren't concentric on the crank. Don't forget to install the spacer on the transmission side of the flex plate.

-Install the torque converter onto the input shaft of the transmission. Be sure to rotate it at least 90 degrees off vertical in both directions while pushing aftward. This is to ensure that the converter seats on both sets of splines on the input shaft.

-At this point, you're really ready to put the transmission onto the back of the block. Get it under the jeep and jack it up high enough, then using the aforementioned pegs on the back of the block, line up the transmission and bolt it on. Be careful with this step. You shouldn't force it to mate up with the back of the block. If it is done correctly, it will easily go in. One tip about the torque converter bolts - install one but don't tighten it much. Then rotate the flex plate enough to get the opposite bolt in, then just work your way around to all the bolts, tightening them in increments. I tightened the first bolt too much and I couldn't spin the flex plate at all because the input shaft was at an awkward angle I guess. (SIDE NOTE - You can see where the bracket for the shifter cable goes in the following picture, it is just to the left of the center of the picture where there are two shiny spots with bolts in the middle of them on the backside of the bellhousing)

-Bolt the lower portion of the dust shield onto the bellhousing. Take care of little things at this point such as reinstall the starter onto the tranny. Also run the lines. I cut the stock lines for the AW4 and then used a flaring tool in order to run soft line. I used fuel pressure line.

-Using the pre-95 crossmember and the 93 ZJ mount, mount the rear of the transmission. Reinstall the Tcase.

-Now for the interior and the shifter linkages. For the floor shifter, you have to use the one that shifts the aw4 because the gears are in different positions versus the 42re. You also have to use the aw4 shifter cable that goes between the gear selector and the gear selector on the body of the transmission. It may not make sense as to why you have to do this, but it's because the cable that actually moves within the shielding is a slightly different length. This picture shows the interior completely torn apart. This was because in order to install the 4wd linkages (I did this transmission swap to convert my ZJ into 4wd) I had to replace the pan that the gear selectors bolt to in order to mount the 231 handle. You won't have to remove the carpet to just replace the shifter and it's cable, but it would make it easier for the cable portion. I replaced the cable after I had already put the carpet back, so I ended up just cutting the carpet right along the shifter cable (~4" of carpet) and it made it very easy to R&R the cable. To remove the shifter handle you have to just pull really hard on it, but be careful when doing so (look at the last picture in the next set).

Last edited by anticrombie; 03-03-2007 at 09:11 PM..
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Wiring

Alright, now this part of the swap I can't take credit for, although I have modified it ever so slightly to work with the ZJ. The following is copied DIRECTLY from Stu Olsen's Jeep site located at http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.asp.

For the GRAY 8 prong connector from the Transmission body -

Pin 1 TRS 1-2 Sense - This is a violet with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 21 on the TCM plug. (Also known as TRS T42 sense). It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 21 on the TCM letting the TCM know that the shifter is in the 1-2 range.

Pin 2 TRS 3 Sense - This is a violet wire. It needs to connect to Pin 9 on the TCM plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 9 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the 3 range.

Pin 3 Fused Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start) - This is a white wire. When you turn on the key to the run or start mode this sends power to the TRS. The TRS then uses this power to send signals to the TCM indicating what range the shifter is in. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A2.

Pin 4 TRS Overdrive Sense - This is a light green with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 22 on the TCM plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 22 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the OD range.

Pin 5 (Not used)

Pin 6 TRS Reverse Sense - This is a brown with light green stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 18 on the TCM plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 18 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the reverse range. (Also known as Back Up Lamp Feed)

Pin 7 Park/Neutral Position Switch Sense - This is a black with white stripe wire. It's purpose is to ground the Park/Neutral circuit on the TJ harness when you shift into Park or Neutral so that the starter relay can be engaged which in turn allows the motor to be started. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A6.

Pin 8 Ground - This is the ground necessary to complete the Park/Neutral circuit. It will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin 31 or 32.

BLACK 8 prong from the transmission body -

Pin 1 Input Speed Sensor Signal - This is a red with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 2 on the TCM plug. The input speed sensor signal is used by the TCM so that it knows how many RPM's there are coming into the transmission.

Pin 2 Transmission Solenoid B - This is an orange with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 13 on the TCM plug. The solenoids are used by the TCM to shift the transmission.

Pin 3 Transmission Solenoid A - This is a white wire. It needs to connect to Pin 12 on the TCM plug. The solenoids are used by the TCM to shift the transmission.

Pin 4 Transmission Solenoid C (Lockup) - This is a dark blue with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 11 on the TCM connector. The TCM uses this solenoid to engage and disengage the lockup.

Pin 5 Input Speed Sensor Ground - This is a violet with light green stripe. It needs to connect to Pin 1 on the TCM plug. It completes input speed sensor circuit.

Pin 6 Output Speed Sensor Ground - This is a dark blue with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 3 on the TCM plug. It completes the output speed sensor circuit.

Pin 7 Output Speed Sensor Signal - This is a light green with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 4 on the TCM plug. The output speed sensor signal is used by the TCM so that it knows how many RPM's there are coming out of the transmission.

Pin 8 (Not used)

BLACK 26 prong connector to TCM

Pin 1 Input Speed Sensor Ground - This is a violet with light green stripe. It needs to connect to Pin 5 on the black 8 way plug. It completes input speed sensor circuit

Pin 2 Input Speed Sensor Signal - This is a red with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 1 on the black 8 way plug. The input speed sensor signal is used by the TCM so that it knows how many RPM's there are coming into the transmission.

Pin 3 Output Speed Sensor Ground - This is a dark blue with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 6 on the black 8 way plug. It completes the output speed sensor circuit.

Pin 4 Output Speed Sensor Signal - This is a light green with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 7 on the black 8 way plug. The output speed sensor signal is used by the TCM so that it knows how many RPM's there are coming out of the transmission.

Pin 5 (Not used)

Pin 6 CCD BUS (-) (NOT USED!)

Pin 7 CCD BUS (+) (NOT USED!)

Pin 8 (Not used)

Pin 9 TRS T3 Sense (TRS 3 Sense) - This is a violet wire. It needs to connect to Pin 2 on the gray 8 way plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 9 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the 3 range.

Pin 10 (Not used)

Pin 11 Transmission Solenoid C (Lockup) - This is a dark blue with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 4 on the black 8 way plug. The TCM uses this solenoid to engage and disengage the lockup.

Pin 12 Transmission Solenoid A - This is a white wire. It needs to connect to Pin 3 on the black 8 way plug. The solenoids are used by the TCM to shift the transmission.

Pin 13 Transmission Solenoid B - This is an orange with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 2 on the black 8 way plug. The solenoids are used by the TCM to shift the transmission.

Pin 14 (Not used)

Pin 15 (Not used)

Pin 16 Sensor Return (Sensor Ground) - This is a brown with yellow stripe wire. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A4. When we pull sensor signals off the TJ harness we need to send to signal ground back to the TJ PCM sensor return. This completes the circuit the TCM needs to get signals from the TJ throttle position sensor and brake switch sense circuits.

Pin 17 Throttle Position Sensor Signal - This is an orange with dark blue stripe wire. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A23. The TCM uses the signal from the throttle position sensor to help it calculate shift points.

Pin 18 Back Up Lamp Feed (TRS Reverse Sense) - This is a brown with light green stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 6 on the gray 8 way plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 18 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the reverse range.

Pin 19 (Not used)

Pin 20 (Not used)

Pin 21 T42 Sense (TRS 1-2 Sense) - This is a violet with white stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 1 on the gray 8 way plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 21 on the TCM letting the TCM know that the shifter is in the 1-2 range.

Pin 22 TRS T1 Sense (TRS Overdrive Sense) - This is a light green with black stripe wire. It needs to connect to Pin 4 on the gray 8 way plug. It's purpose is to apply 12 volts to pin 22 on the TCM telling the TCM that the shifter is in the OD range.

Pin 23 Brake Switch Sense - This is a white with pink stripe wire. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 3 pin C24. This allows the TCM to know when the brakes are being applied.

Pin 24 Ground - This is a black with tan strip wire. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A31 or A32. Provides a ground for the TCM.

Pin 25 Fused B (+) - This is a pink 20 gauge wire. Rather than tear apart the power distribution center I chose to run this straight to the battery positive terminal. You will want to use an inline 15A fuse. This wire provides constant power for the TCM.

Pin 26 Fused Ignition Switch Input (Start-Run) - This is a dark blue with white stripe wire. When you turn on the key to the run or start mode this sends power to the TCM. This will tie into the wire bundle coming out of the TJ PCM on connector 1 pin A2.

I mounted the TCM under the center console on top of the airbag computer underneath the armrest portion. I drilled a hole underneath where the bin in the arm rest is and ran the wires up along the transmission tunnel, then up the firewall to the PCM. As for the things that I have had to adapt to the ZJ, one is that I had to ground the black with white tracer wire that goes to the pcm (connector A) with a switch so that I could start it. I need to do some work with the NSS to not have to ground this wire as well as get my reverse lamps back. I'll edit this when I figure these very minor issues figured out.

Last edited by anticrombie; 03-03-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Unread 03-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Space saved for anything else I need to make sure I include. Wiring portion to come tomorrow, I've spent too much time already on this tonight. Ya'll better appreciate this. Hahaha.
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Ok, well thats the majority of it. I'm sure I'll think of something I need to add and will do so when it comes to me.
Unread 03-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Thats a great writeup! Thanks. I was going to pm you for a brief writeup last week when there was a cheap aw4 on ebay. The bum pulled the auction on me. Good thing to have tho. Throws up another option than just swapping back in a 42re.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r

Last edited by gunthagunth; 03-04-2007 at 08:16 AM..
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Army_Monkey
OBDII 5-Speed ZJ Driver

1998 ZJ 

Since you are going to be running the TCM, are you going to just ignore the check engine light? It's going to come on the second you turn they key on.
Also, I find it interesting that the AW-4 even runs a TCM, because when I was comparing PCMs, the '98 XJ 4.0 auto PCM was listed as being exactly the same part number as the '98 ZJ 4.0 auto, which means the TCM is part of the PCM
Kevin's 2" BB | OME HD Springs | 31" Baja Claws | 15x8 Classic II's | Kevin's LP-1 Sliders | Stillen Brakes | ARB Bull Bar | Ramsey REP 8.5RE | Kevin's TBC | OME SS | F&R Lock-Rights | Kolak Euro Headlights
--- Soon to come: Clayton's, Currie 9" axles, 4.6L stroker, and plenty more
Army_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Monkey

Since you are going to be running the TCM, are you going to just ignore the check engine light? It's going to come on the second you turn they key on.
Also, I find it interesting that the AW-4 even runs a TCM, because when I was comparing PCMs, the '98 XJ 4.0 auto PCM was listed as being exactly the same part number as the '98 ZJ 4.0 auto, which means the TCM is part of the PCM
The CEL is interesting. I drove it around last weekend a bunch and after a couple miles I got one. I got back to the house and did the on-off trick, and it just kept repeating the code 42, over and over. This code is in reference to the ASD relay, so I have no idea what it is about. I got a new battery because it went bad and havn't driven it around for more than a couple blocks since then. It has yet to show up again. I'll have to see if it comes up again and then take it from there. I'll borrow my buddies' OBDII scanner if it happens.

And that's interesting about the PCM being the same part number for both. The only thing I can think of is that the 42re maybe more self-run than the aw4; therefore, the aw4 needs outside control of the solenoids to change gears. I'll have to do some research on that.

In all honesty, this swap is pretty easy. With that said, I WOULD NOT do this if your transmission is not slipping or about to give out.

And thanks for the good words!
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
Sorry, this cracks me up every time I see it.

Great write-up!

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPrat
Sorry, this cracks me up every time I see it.

Great write-up!

It CRACKS you up? (Yes, pun intended.)
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

hey when you swap, you no longer need to worry about a kickdown cable or adjusting a kickdown cable... correct? Because the aw4 is computer controlled.???
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

It still has a kickdown cable but it doesn't need to be adjusted or anything.
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
It still has a kickdown cable but it doesn't need to be adjusted or anything.

interesting. What purpose does it serve? I am going to do this swap, do I need to get a new kickdown cable bracket on top of the intake manifold going from a 42re to a AW4?

Some more questions, as my 42re is about to bite the dust and I need to get this going in the next 2 weeks.

Im going to be doing this swap to a OBDI ZJ. As such, would it be easier to avoid the wiring talked about in this thread, if I were to just source the transmission harness, and PCM from a 93? Is the PCM and TCM integrated on 93 ZJs with the Aw4?

I have a bunch of questions, if anyone can help me, I would REALLY appreciate it.
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
KTM Mike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i know this is an ancient thread - but hopefully someone can help me out. I am attempting to bolt up an AW4 from a 92 XJ Cherokee to a 4.0 that came out of a 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee (in my case this is all going into my TJ though..but that does not matter for my issue)

If I use the XJ/AW4 flexplate, that raised ring where the torque convereter bolts go through, seems to make it such the tranny wont seat up to the engine block by about 1/4" or so. I tried the flex plate from the ZJ - it all seats properly to engine block - but the holes in the flex plate do not line up to the torque converter mounting holes.

Any suggestions? I see you used the AW4 Flex plate and yours appears identical to mine based on your photo - so that should work. I dont get why mine wont seat up to the engine block. Could something be causing the torque coverter to not seat back all the way on the input shaft on the tranny?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
sikpupy
1997 ZJ 

Anticrombie, if your still out there, I am getting a code 15 in my 97GC setup. Thats because, I assume, the output shaft speed sensor "OSS" is unhooked and does not match the "VSS" sensor on the transfer case, obviously. How did you avoid that?

KTM Mike, use the flywheel from a 98
sikpupy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

93 Aw4 Tcm

The 93 AW4 TCM does not have a setup for the safety neutral switch. I am doing the swap in my 2000 TJ and not sure where to wire the park/neutral safety switch.
Any ideas?
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.