Automatic Shutdown Relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Automatic Shutdown Relay

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 02-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Automatic Shutdown Relay

Does anyone know if there are any compatible relays to the ASD? I think my ASD is going bad but I'd like to check before I buy one. Will the AC relay work? I have a 1995 grand cherokee 5.2l.

jeeponthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
kingvm
2005 WK 

There should be 2 or 3 in the block that are the same as the ASD.

Look at the numbers on them, but I think the AC is one of the ones that are the same.
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvm View Post
There should be 2 or 3 in the block that are the same as the ASD.

Look at the numbers on them, but I think the AC is one of the ones that are the same.
So look for ones that look similar and have matching numbers and swap it? I dont want to put the wrong one in and have it fry any part electrical system.
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Savasa
2000 WJ 

JOB,
Nope, not similar, the SAME. Numbers and everything. Been there done it.
Savasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savasa View Post
JOB,
Nope, not similar, the SAME. Numbers and everything. Been there done it.
My Jeep hard starts real bad when cold then when it finally starts it runs real ruff and the exhaust smells extremely rich. It also dies out and the rpm run up and down almost to the point of dieing. Could the ASD cause this?
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

On my '96 ZJ the following relays are all the same:

Horns
ASD
ABS system
A/C clutch
Fuel pump
Starter
Intermittent wiper
Trans

These are 20A relays, Mopar P/N 4608650, Standard RY612, Tyco 4671168E or 72472M.

Jay
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW when I swapped the TBI for the MPI 2.5 last year the old motor did not have the ASD relay. I couldn't get that part of the harness from the donor and just used a standard 30amp relay for it. A relay is a relay...they all work the same but some have a higher currant rating. Been running it as a DD for 6 months now and no problems with anything.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Just make sure its a bosch style relay, but anything from under the hood will work as long as it fits. but from what you said it doesn't sound like the ASD relay, but its worth a shot.
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

No, it doesn't sound like the ASD relay to me either. I had a bad ground on my ASD relay and it just wouldn't start.

If I were you, I'd try to erase the memory in the PCM, just to see if the PCM is the cause. Here's the link to how to do it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/q...et-pcm-948495/

I hope this resolves your problem.

Jay
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
norrisk66
1999 WJ 

If the engine computer does not recieve the crank sensor signal within a few seconds of cranking-it will disable the ASD relay (which powers up your fuel injectors)
norrisk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. The reason I'm fixating on the ASD is the Jeep will NOT start at all until I leave the key in the on position for a minute or two then the ASD relay starts clicking for about 30 secs. When it starts clicking the check engine light starts flashing then turns solid. After all that happens the Jeep fires right up but dies out a couple seconds later. After a couple more tries it will stay running but runs super rough and the RPMs jump up and down and the exhaust smells very rich. The ASD may not be the cause of my problem but its defiantly related to it. I figured I'd start there. Haven't been able to work on it because I've been off island.
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

if the ASD relay is bad there will be no spark and the Jeep will not start AT ALL. I dealt with this in my 98 after an incident with water..
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
norrisk66
1999 WJ 

I bet you have a bad crank sensor. Mine was doing the same thing-ASD relay was clicking on and off rapidly.
norrisk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #14
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Turns out it was the computer. Had it replaced and now it starts right up and run fine at idle to about 18oorpms. After that if you give it gas it has no power. There's a very loud hiss coming from what I think is the IAC. It seems like the motor wants to rev but somethings holding it back. Does anyone know what a malfuntioning IAC would cause? Or could my cat be clogged up?
Unread 04-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

When my IAC went bad the idle would fluctuate wildly. I don't know if the IAC would have much effect when you are out of the idle range.

When my cat finally broke apart enough for the pieces to get sideways and clog the exhaust flow, the tone of the exhaust sounded very muffled and the Jeep wouldn't go over 20 mph. Before it got this bad the pieces would rattle loudly.

Jay

Last edited by ZJJay; 04-09-2010 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Correct another darn typo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.