Auto Transmission Problem 94 GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto Transmission Problem 94 GC

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
beech2292
1994 ZJ 

Auto Transmission Problem 94 GC

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.0L 4x4

It started having issues a couple weeks ago, first when you were driving it it would all of a sudden not want to shift, and the only way to get it to shift would be to floor it. Also sometimes it would seem like it would shift into a higher gear then it should have, leaving it running at much lower RPM's then it should. From there it got progressively worse, it wouldn't even shift if you tried flooring it, and then now you can get into it and start it, but when you move the shifter into any of the gears it will not move. It doesn't even sound like its shifting into the gear. If you sit on the gas with it in drive or reverse sometimes it will catch into gear and start to move, but when it does it makes a loud winding type noise. It'll drive for a little bit (a minute or two) and then it'll just start acting as if it's in neutral again.

When it first started happening we changed the transmission fluid to see if that would help at all and it did not. There didn't appear to be any excessive shavings in the pan either.

There is no check engine light on, and I checked to see if it was throwing any codes but it is not throwing any transmission or engine codes.

Any help would be much appreciated, if I need to clarify anything please do ask.

beech2292 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Verify correct fluid level. Park level, tranny hot, shift slowly through all gears, leave shifter in N, check fluid level.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

then check throttle valve cable as well. make sure the trans fluid is nice and red and not burnt smelling at all.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
beech2292
1994 ZJ 

Looks like the transmission fluid level is higher then what it should be, gonna check it again here in a few to make sure I read it correctly yesterday. If its still reading high I'm gonna open the pan up and drain it all again and refill. Going to also change out the Governor pressure solenoid and sensor while I'm in there.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
beech2292
1994 ZJ 

Well popped open the tranny pan and drained some of the fluid, that fixed the issue of it not going into gear. But when driving it it has issues in 1st and 2nd gear, once it hits 3rd it runs fine. From what ive read on here that does sound like the governor solenoid correct?

Thanks for the help so far!

EDIT:

I only opened it enough to drain some of the fluid to get the level where it needs to be to see if that'd get it going and it did. I ordered the Governor Solenoid and sensor already, hopfully get that at the end of the week and get it in.

Last edited by beech2292; 05-05-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

This was worth every penny to me - http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....cekit9697.aspx

Even though I had no loss of overdrive, it turned out my accumulator spring was in pieces anyway. I used everything in this kit but the gasket. My pan wouldn't stop leaking, so I ended up with the Mopar OEM transmission pan gasket and it hasn't leaked a drop since. I have put on 2,000 miles since this kit and it shifts and drives so much smoother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.