Auto Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto Transmission

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
jeeptrainee

Auto Transmission

I am helping a friend of mine w/ his 94 Grand Cheroke. The car has been sitting for a while. From what he says, the car was in a shop, and the shop tried to clean a sticking Transmission valve, but didn't do a good job, or the Valve neds replaced. So he has no first gear, and sometimes looses overdrive. I drive a Nissan 240sx w/ a 5 speed, so this is new territory for me. Where is this valve? He mentioned something about a pump too. Is this in the transmission, on the outside, what? I just figured the Jeep gurus could help me on this one. Thanks.

jeeptrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
automan25

Auto transmission can be quite tricky to work on. Personally I'd take it to a reputable transmission shop to have them look it over. About the only thing the lay person can do on an auto trans is change the fluid & filter, and adjust the bands. The bands are what is used to switch gears. If they aren't working correctly, then a gear may feel like it's "slipping" or you may lose a gear entirely. You'll need to refer to a shop manual to find out how to adjust the bands.

The pump on all auto transmissions is built into the torque converter. If the vehicle is drivable at all, then the pump is working fine. If it wasn't then there would be no fluid circulating throughout the transmission, and you'd go nowhere.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.