Auto shift cable popped off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto shift cable popped off

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
radon220
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Auto shift cable popped off

So the other day my shift linkage (attached to the shift cable) popped off the shift lever on the old 42RE. (Jeep is a 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee w/ 250k miles.) The transmission was stuck in Reverse, and not yet knowing it had merely popped off, I had to leave it in my workplace parking lot overnight. The next day I got a ride back to it, bringing some coveralls to do some lunchtime undercarriage work. Well 2 minutes of looking and 20 seconds of work later, I had it popped back on. It got me home, but popped off again later. Soooo since these cables seem to be as easy to obtain as hen's teeth, I came up with a different but equally permanent fix. The pictures tell the story. Maybe this thread will help someone else in my situation. JeepForum was the first place I came looking for help, afterall. It appears this is a popular problem with the 2005 Wranglers too. My ZJ has 250k miles on it though... I can't really fault the original design or parts for failing after that much time.

imgp1639crop.jpg  
radon220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.