Auto Headlight sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto Headlight sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Auto Headlight sensor

hey again,
another question for auto healdights we need a sesor but now i found a sensor is the conector part to the sesnor already in the jeep or would i have to install that too since mine does not got auto head lights already ?

Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Thats there. So far almost every jeep is plug and play. Did factory tow wiring on mine and it was there on both zj and wj. Did factory fogs on my zj wires were there. Same with the auto sensor.
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Do you by chance know where it is located?
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Nope I only found out because I pugged in the auto switch plugged in the relay tunred the wipers on and it worked fine. Id do that b4 bying a senosr.
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Sorry could you explain that better I kinda confused.
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Ok what I did was installed my auto headlight switch first. Then installed the auto relay in the fues pannel or it was the fues itself i dont remember. Then I set the switch to auto and turned on the wiper blades and the lights turned on. You may have to set on your dash computer set wipers on lights on setting though. If it dosent work you need sensor. Dont by sensor without trying first.
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

O ok thanks.
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

So when you say turn the wipers on what that mean they have to stay on. And how is it auto if they are no sensor for then to see of they need it on
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 04-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Now you have me really confused. What do auto headlights have to do with the wipers? The auto headlight sensor is located in the panel at the rear of the dashpad to right of the left tweeter. Depending on whether the vehicle has factory alarm or not it will also have the red LED for the alarm housed with the sensor. My 98 did not have the pigtail for the sensor, unless its buried under something. Far as I know auto headlights only operate the headlights. I could check the sensor wiring diagram to see where the pigtail terminates to but its too early in the morning for me,lol.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

They turn on. Thats how I checked to see if I had the sensor.
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

You all ready checked for wiring so it wont mater. But.if your jeep did and you didnt know that way is a fast.test
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

A WJ is a different beast if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong. The sensor is a ph0tovoltaic type. It senses when the light levels are low by changing voltage to the headlight sense terminal of either the headlight module or the bcm I forget which. This in turn brings on the headlights when the switch is in auto. WJ's came with a rain sensor in the windshield glass {if equipped} that would activate the wipers but I,m not familiar with that circuitry. ZJ's,which is what the op has, didn't.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I have both wj and zj. Wj had it cause I bought it like that zj was stock.
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

I pulled of the top dash peice today at lunch to look under it. And I found two small connectors one on each side I had nothing connected to them so would that be for the sensor and alarm?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

Last edited by Howieb92; 04-14-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Bump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.